Both children crawled onto the bed, Chris taking his place next to his sister as Lauren wrapped her arm protectively around his shoulder.

“Remember when I took Chris to the doctor’s office on Friday” Clara began, feeling the acceleration of her heartbeat and slight lightheadedness that accompanied it. Clara squeezed her husband’s hand. “Well, Christopher is sick.”

Both of her children looked at her confused.

“Um… Don’t worry” Mike interrupted. “They are going to operate on him and give him a bunch of medicine, and he’ll feel better. He won’t get as tired as he does now. And he’ll get to run after you all day, Lauren. He’ll be fine” Mike’s voice cracking while he said those final words, a solitary tear escaped down his face.

“If he’s gonna to be fine, then why are you crying?” Lauren asked, her gaze steady and earnest and a little bit afraid. “This isn’t fair! He’s just a little boy. It’s not fair” Lauren said with anger and hurt curled in her voice. 

Clara understood Lauren’s logic perfectly. It wasn’t fair. Her son was innocent, blameless like a lamb. He didn’t deserve this.

Lauren looked up at her father with a furrowed brow. “Promise me, Papi” she said with urgency, “Promise me that you’ll fix him. You’re a doctor. You have to fix my brother. I need him” Lauren’s mouth began to quiver, wringing her hands together as she moved towards her father. 

“Honey” Clara said “We can’t promise …”

“I promise you, mi preciosa” Mike interrupted as pulled his daughter onto his lap.”I promise on my life, I’ll fix him.” Christopher followed suit and they both hugged their father tight.

“Papi” Chris softly whispered to his dad “You’re my hero. You’re going to save me. I just know it.” 

Lauren snuggled close to her brother, and whispered into his ears “I’ll take care of you, Christopher.”

Seven years later, Clara woke up to another battle to keep her son alive. “One more day.” she pleaded to God every morning “Give him one more day.” They’ve drained their savings to pay for treatment after treatment. And everyday Christopher got sicker, faded a little more until one day, her worst fear being that she would no longer see her son.

It was the Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend. Mrs. Cabello had become accustomed to setting an extra place at the table, and to making extra sandwiches. Camila loved ham and cheddar on rye but Lauren loved Nutella on white; so she obliged to making both.

“Girls! Arriba. Lunch is ready” Sinu announced while adding her finishing touches to each sandwich.

It was past noon and they were still in bed: the result of staying up till three am perfecting the dance moves to NSYNC’s latest music video. Lauren lay there waiting for her eyes to adjust to the sliver of light that peaked through from behind the curtains. For a moment, still warmed and comforted by sleep, she stared at the ceiling thinking about the day that lie ahead. Tonight was the long awaited freshman dance, the first one of the school year. There was so much to left to do- Camila needed silver shoes to match her dress, corsages needed to be picked up, and her hair need to washed and straightened which was a four hour task by itself.

Lauren groaned and rolled over, trying to ward off the day. Camila was still fast asleep, unlike Lauren, she had to be coaxed gently out her dreams. Lauren edged herself onto her back and turned her head to look at her best friend. Most of Camila’s face was in the shadows, just the tiniest slice of light picked out one corner of her eye, the curve of her jaw, and the corner of her mouth. She looked at peace, she looked like an angel. Lauren traced Camila’s jawline over a faded scar with the pad of her thumb. Her eyelashes fluttered with each breath that she took. A riot of curled, chestnut hair spilled across the pillow that they shared. Although Camila had an extra bed in her room, they always ended up sharing the same twin bed out of habit and comfort. Camila’s arm splayed across Lauren’s chest, pinning her in one position against the mattress.

Ninas, don’t make me come up there!” Sinu warned “I’ll splash cold water like I did last week, chicas perezosas.

Lauren tried to leap out of bed, desiring to avoid Sinu’s threat, but she discovered that her limbs were so tangled in Camila’s legs that it seemed impossible to move.

“Camzi” Lauren affectionately called her, ”time to wake up.” Lauren snuggled into Camila’s side as she took hold of her hand; her fingers long and thin and strong. Camila curled into a little ball, trying to avoid the inevitable new day. They had been silent for a slight moment, seeming to slot perfectly together in the narrow bed like a pair of puzzle pieces. Lauren leaned over and peppered kisses across Camila’s neck and face. They were always affectionate with each other, especially in the morning. There was something lovely about started a brand new day with her person by her side.

“Camz, I know you’re awake “ as she folded her arms around Camila’s waist. “Aren’t you excited about today?” she said softly as she nuzzled her nose against Camila’s cheek. “Aren’t you excited about showing off your new dance moves? Aren’t you excited about your first official date with Harry?”

A small smile lifted the corners of Camila’s mouth as she began to stretch out her legs. She raised her arms up over her head, and finally squinted her eyes open. Her small, freshly manicured hands came down to rub her eyes as she yawned before meeting Lauren’s gaze.

“Good morning, sunshine” Lauren said.

“Morning, Lo” she replied, her voice still raspy and groggy from sleep. Lauren sat up and started to leave to the bed when Camila grabbed her arm. “Wait, where’s my morning hug?” she whimpered with her bottom lip poked out, her warm brown eyes bright with hope.

Lauren grabbed a pillow and threw it at Camila, snickering. She staggered toward to dresser. She opened Camila’s top dresser drawer and pulled out a pair of shorts and a vintage Guns N’ Roses t-shirt. She stepped out of her pajamas and began to dress herself in Camila’s clothes.

“Ouch, the harsh sting of rejection.” Camila scowled. “You deny me from morning lovin’ and to make it worst, you steal my clothes on top of that. You are a harsh bitch, Lauren Jauregui.” Camila crossed her arms, a grin creeping across her lips.

“You know you love me” Lauren smiled, throwing a sweatshirt and jeans towards Camila “Get dressed, Camz. We have a lot to do today.” Lauren rushed towards the door, heading to the bathroom. On her way out of the room, she stubbed her toe on the dresser. The pain shot from her toe up to her lower leg. “Shit-fucking-shit” she initially yelled out in pain.

“Aw poor baby” Camila said sarcastically. “That’s what you get for denying me some morning lovin.” She slapped Lauren’s butt as she walked past her, into the bathroom.

“Wait, I need the bathroom. I was headed there first” Lauren grumbled as she followed the younger one, hopping on one foot.

“Well, I’m just brushing my teeth” Camila defensively replied as she eyed herself in the mirror, her hair looking like it had been attacked by vicious pillow gnomes. Lauren walked right behind, pulling her shorts down as she rushed to the toilet. She sat down and her face flooded with relief. “Lo, what time are the boys picking us up today?” Camila asked.

“They’re not picking us up” Lauren said. “We’re meeting them at the hospital. Chris wants to meets our dates before they take us anywhere.He made me promise to come by.” Lauren stood next to Camila and nudged her aside. “Move over, you’re taking up all of the space.” She said jokingly while washing her hands.

“Chris is going pulverize Harry and Zayn”, Camila chuckled, nudging Lauren’s side with her elbow. “He can be pretty intimidating for a ten year old.”

Her smile widen, “That’s my brother. He’s one tough nugget. Chris has been through more in the past seven years than I will ever go through in a lifetime.”  Camila nodded in agreement. Lauren picked up a brush and started to attack the knots in Camila’s hair. 

“Mami says they are trying another interferon treatment. I hope it helps this time.” Camila said quietly, her worried eyes shifted to the floor.

A flash of hurt crossed Lauren’s eyes. She paused before she answered back. “I’m so fucking tired of him being stuck in that cold, dreaded hospital. I miss him. His home is with me. He needs to come home.” Lauren tensed up behind Camila for a slight second as she sighed and shook her head. Her defeated tone tugged at the younger one’s heart. Camila turned towards Lauren, wrapping her arms around the older one, holding her close.

“I’m so sorry, Lo.” Tears began to well in her eyes but she refused to let them spill. Stay strong for Lauren is what Camila reminded herself.

“I know you are, Camz.” Lauren squeezed Camila tight before letting her go. Lauren continued to brush Camila’s hair as she nervously fidgeted and bit her nails. Lauren knew that the whole “Christopher” topic scared Camila. Camila, being the perfectionist that she was, always wanted to fix things. She hated feeling helpless, knowing that Christopher’s illness was something that she couldn’t just fix. 

Lauren changed the topic in an attempt to put the younger one at ease. “So… you and Harry? Aren’t you excited?” She finished brushing Camila’s hair, pulling it to the side with a french braid. 

“Wait, um… about tonight” Camila said referring to the dance, her voice low and hollow “What if Harry wants to end the night with a kiss? You know I’ve never done anything like and um… I’m kind of nervous about it, ya know.” Nibbling her bottom lip, her hands fumbling with the hem of Lauren’s t-shirt.

Lauren pulled her red hair back behind her head, gathering it in her hands, which meant she was thinking.

“Do you want me to teach you?” Lauren asked in a serious tone.

“What? No. That’s weird. And ludicrous. And gay. Yes, really gay.” Camila retorted unconvincingly. She scratched her head, knowing that Lauren viewed it as a serious question.

“Camz, it’s not gay if we don’t feel anything for each other. It’s just a teaching opportunity. Do you know the type of reputation you’ll get for being a bad kisser? It follows you forever” Lauren gave her a look as she tilted Camila’s face towards her. “You don’t want to be known as the girl who sloppily twirls her tongue like a fish.” Camila listened intently, eyebrows pinched together, lips pursed.

“No, I guess not”  she replied, feeling color blossom on her cheeks. She cleared her throat. “You’ve had a lot of experiences so you must be good.”

Lauren began to giggle uncontrollably, leaning back with her hands over her mouth. She laughed as though Camila said something wildly amusing. “You make me sound like a slut, little one.” Camila shrugged, keeping her lips pressed together trying to keep herself from laughing, as she sat on the bathroom counter in front of Lauren. She drew her feet up onto the counter and wrapped her arms around her legs.

“Okay, first rule is to start with a soft peck. You have to let things build. Don’t start by sticking your tongue down his throat.” Lauren stepped forward and put her right hand on the small of Camila’s back. She looks at the younger one for a moment before leaning in and pressing her lips against Camila’s, a light but soft peck on the lips.

 Camila’s eyes widened and she gulped as she stuttered “W-wow, that was kinda nice.”

“Don’t go gay on me now.” Lauren teased as she raised her eyebrows, her green eyes twinkled with mischief. Camila punched her playfully and pouted. “Aw, I’m sorry baby. I’ll be nice. No more jokes, I promise.” Lauren said tugging the younger one’s braid affectionately. 

“Lauren” Camila complained, lifting her eyes to focus on her friend. “Just kiss me and critique me afterwards. This is awkward enough without you dragging it out” she protested.

“Okay fine” Lauren replied, she narrowed her emerald eyes in concentration. Lauren’s lips meet with Camila, they were warm and soft as they played gently against Camila’s. Lauren nibbled Camila’s bottom lip and she gasped, opening her mouth just enough for Lauren’s tongue to slide in. Her tongue began to stroke against Camila’s. The younger one’s tongue cautiously touched Lauren, realizing that Lauren’s mouth was sweeter than anything she’s ever tasted. Her lips were plump and soft and so damn hot. Camila muffled a moan, careful for it not to slip away.Camila hungrily wanted more, deepening this kiss. But Lauren broke away, as a smirk played across her lips. Camila ran her hand through her bangs, noticing for the first time a small mole on the Lauren’s cheek that almost looked ornamental, as if it had been dotted there by a makeup artist looking for exactly the right effect. Why, she wondered, did she see that now? 

Lauren infringed on her thought process saying “You’re good. Slow down and do something with your hands, maybe rub them through his hair. Those are my only critiques.”

Their eyes met and held for a moment before Lauren glanced away. Camila felt herself exhale- she didn’t even realize she’d been holding her breath. With that, Lauren flipped her hair over her shoulders, and sashayed out to the bathroom. The sight of all that red hair cascading over her shoulders as her hips glided into a rhythmic beat, (which they’ve aptly named called the “Lauren walk).

Camila blushed as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. “Wow” she whispered to herself in a faltering voice, her fingers lingered on her lips, trying to make sense of what just took place. Camila’s stomach fluttered with butterflies when she thought about her first kiss. She tried to ignore the erratic way her heart was beating, the stagnated pattern of her breathing.She’s my friend, she thought. My best friend. Right? She held her breath trying to fight back this ridiculous feeling of infatuation towards her best friend. Closing her eyes to try to focus on something else, but there is nothing. All she can think of is the kiss and how it made her feel. Made her feel like she could live in that moment for a thousand years. Camila bite her bottom lip, frustrated that she feeling this way. The whole thing, she suddenly decided, was preposterous. A bunch of nonsense. She buried those thoughts away, feeling foolish for thinking of her friend in a different light.

“Camila, vamos” Lauren shouted, interrupting her thoughts. “Come eat or Mami Sinu will come after you.” She warned as she descended down the stairs.

“Buenas tardes, Mami Sinu” Lauren announced as she walked into the kitchen. “Sorry for running so la-”  Lauren stopped in her tracks when she saw Sinu, her face void of all color, her hands clinging onto the kitchen counter as if it was the only thing that kept her standing. There was a terrible blankness in Sinu’s eyes, and Lauren knew that this was big, whatever it was.

“Lauren.” Sinu said quietly, with her voice cracking. “It’s Christopher. His health has declined. We have to leave to the hospital now. We don’t have much time.”

The room seemed very small suddenly and cramped. Lauren’s throat swelled as she gasped for air. She took a couple steps back, slightly shaking her head in disbelief. He’s fine, she thought. I saw him yesterday. We played Mario Kart 46. He laughed. He said I was his favorite sister. I joked and said that it doesn’t count because I was his only sister. He shook his head and told me that it didn’t matter. 

Lauren felt a light tap on her shoulder and she looked up and saw Camila standing there, glassy-eyed, her hands fixing into fists at her side. They came together as naturally as wind and rain, clinging to each other, bonded by invisible threads of their mutual concern.

“My baby brother… I can’t save him” Lauren whispered against her ear, her voice as vulnerable as she felt.