Chapter Seventeen

After everything that had happened, the silence in Akash's car felt soothing to Khushi. The dramatic fire at the guesthouse, the sheer horror of the plan almost resulting in unimaginable tragedy - she was now utterly spent.

It felt like weeks had passed since the morning. She could hardly believe that just yesterday it was Holi, that she and Arnav-ji had... by the poolside... she sighed. And later that night he did indeed call, just like he'd promised.

It was a nervous morning for Khushi. She had promised Arnav-ji to finally tell her family that she had confessed everything, and that the Raizadas would learn the truth about Anjali-ji's husband that very evening.

But just as she had finally mustered up enough courage to sit her parents and Buaji down to explain the situation, the phone suddenly rang.

She would never forget the distress in Arnav-ji's voice; she didn't think her laad governer could ever sound so upset.

"Khushi, your family has to come to Shantivan. Something more has come up, something about Shyam's past... it's best if the whole family is together. I'm sending over a driver shortly."

Only when he hung up did she realise what that sudden warm feeling was in her chest. "The whole family," he said.

After Arnav's call, the next half hour was a blur of hysteria. She had only just calmed down Buaji and her mother had finally stopped crying when the driver was already knocking on the door. Her father squeezed Khushi's hand and nodded, as if to say "You made the right choice, dear".

By the time they arrived at Shantivan, Khushi was so nervous she could have made enough jalebis for all of Lucknow.

It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon. Staff were still cleaning up in the gardens, one could still see traces of Holi colours here and there. Perhaps it was the echoes of the previous day's revelry that made the mood in the sitting room feel all the more heavy.

There was none of the usually warm reception of her family in this grand house.

Nani-ji was sitting up very straight, her lips pursed. Mami-ji looked like she was fuming in anger, but for once didn't appear to actually have anything to say. She was holding Anjali-ji's hand, and the latter looked ashen. So did Jiji, who seemed to be on the verge of tears. Akash-ji, Mama-ji, even NK-ji... everyone was silent.

Without permission or thought, her eyes sought out Arnav-ji's face. Almost imperceptibly, he nodded at her, his grim expression warming up ever so slightly. I'm here. Everything will be ok.

Everyone was seated now, except Arnav-ji and a stranger in a dark suit, whom he introduced as Detective Patel.

Khushi held her breath.

"Mr. Raizada has asked me to brief you all on the information which came to light earlier today, about the man who's been a part of this household as a son-in-law for the past three years."

"As most of you already know, my agency has been tracking Mr. Jha's whereabouts for the past month at Mr. Raizada's request, after it was brought to his attention that Mr. Jha had engaged in duplicitous behaviour and even lived as a paying guest at the Gupta family house."

"Hmh!" Came an indignant sniff from Mami-ji, but no more. It was clear the first half of the story had already been told to everyone gathered. Khushi wished the ground would swallow her up after Mami-ji's eviscerating glare in her direction.

"During this time we have recorded a few instances of borderline criminal behaviour," Patel continued, ignoring the interruption.

"This included the repeated stalking of Miss Gupta," he nodded at Khushi, acknowledging her. Her blood ran cold. Repeated?