Chapter Ten

"Titaliyaaa, let's go, we have to leave for Shantivan! Crazy girl, where have you gone off to now!?" Madhumati hollered and swung her braid across the shoulder. The Gupta family elders were already out on the porch, a driver sent by the Raizadas helping Shashi get in the car.

"Coming, Bua-jiii!" Khushi hollered back. She was still in front of the mirror, straightening her white salwar. Usually quick out the door, this morning Khushi couldn't get anything to look just right.

Bua-ji reprimanded Khushi as soon as she got in the car. "What's this, you're wearing your hair down, Nand Kishore? Sanka Devi, you'll never get colour out of it all if you don't braid it properly!"

Khushi blushed. Why hadn't she braided her hair as she normally would? What was she thinking? She thought back to Jiji's sangeet... how Arnav-ji had snatched the clip out of her hair, his teasing "now it's better" as he gestured to her hair cascading across her back.

Or that other day, not so long ago, when he'd pulled the tie out of her hair and she thought he was misbehaving, jealous... but then it turned out he was just covering up her untied dori and then, then by the poolside... She sighed.

Khushi would rather go without jalebis for a year than admit she cared what this arrogant man thought about her appearance.

Yet she knew. She knew very well that she did care. Every moment of every day. Even today, getting ready, putting on those beautiful bangles, she couldn't wait until Arnav-ji saw them on her wrists again.

No wonder that when Anjali-ji's Holi invitation arrived, Khushi had found herself more excited for her favourite festival than usual - if that was even possible. She had barely slept all night, and not just because she'd eaten too many sweets after the bonfire - which she most definitely had done.

Now Khushi was basically on the edge of her seat, while the driver smoothly navigated the chaotic Delhi traffic. Her mind wandered back to Arnav-ji's phone call.

"Because I care!" he had yelled at her.

An hour later, Khushi was still thinking about that conversation when there was a sudden knock on the door. Buaji was down for a nap, so Khushi carefully peered through the curtains of the front window - just in case it was Shyam. She really, really hoped it wouldn't be Shyam.

Thankfully, the man on the porch was a stranger, and obviously there to deliver something. She opened the door just as he impatiently rapped on it again.

"Miss Khushi Kumari Gupta?"

"Yes...?"

"Here, these are for you. The delivery has been paid for. Have a nice day!" Without delay, the delivery man was back on his scooter and sped off.

Khushi weighed up the parcel in her hands, wondering what it could possibly be. Definitely seemed like food! As she opened the plastic container, she squealed in delight.

It was full of onion pakoras.

The car pulled up to the Raizada house, where Payal and Anjali greeted the Gupta family at the door. Inviting everyone in with a quick ritual, Anjali noticed Khushi was craning her neck, expectantly looking around.

"Khushi-ji, are you looking for... anything?" Anjali almost said 'someone', but bit her tongue.

"Oh, no, Anjali-ji, I was just, um, admiring the decorations! Everything looks so beautiful!" Khushi stammered and blushed. She could hardly admit to herself that she was, again, looking for Arnav-ji. Devi Maiyaa! Is... is he here?

"You know, Khushi-ji, you should visit more often," Anjali remarked and winked at her, seeing the two sisters tearfully embracing. Previously inseparable, they'd hardly seen each other since the wedding.

Khushi's heart leapt at the idea of being at Shantivan more. Suppressing the feeling, she inquired after Anjali-ji's health instead, who reassured her she was feeling much better and was fully recovered from the terrible flu. She did still look a little more pale, a little more subdued than usual.

The families exchanged their greetings and they all went about sorting through colours and other festival accessories the Guptas had brought - adding to the already large pile in the sitting room.

Using this chaos as a distraction, Anjali quietly slipped away for a quick trip upstairs.

It was time to seriously talk to her Chhote.

Meanwhile in the living room, Khushi sat as far away from Shyam as possible, and was relieved when NK practically jumped up from behind a sofa, all excited about something.

"Khushi-jee, it's so nice to see you!" he beamed. "I have such cool news! You'll never believe it!"

Always happy to indulge NK, Khushi let his story distract her. At least for a little while, she would try her best not to think about the man she knew must be upstairs, hiding from the mess, from the noise and the colour. He's probably wearing black, too, Khushi found herself thinking, strangely irritated. Disappointed that Arnav-ji would not at least come downstairs to... to greet them!

Soon enough, everyone was laden with trays of colour and more, finally ready to take the party outside and greet the many guests that had started arriving on the lush grounds of Shantivan.

"Oh no, Khushi-ji, I've misplaced one of my trays!" Anjali smacked her forehead in mock disappointment. She had quietly slipped back downstairs before anyone even noticed she was missing.

As Anjali said those words, several things happened in quick succession.

Arnav appeared at the top of the stairs, sporting a white linen shirt and dark jeans.

One eybrow raised, he scanned the scene in the sitting area, where Nani was brandishing her late husband's water gun, and NK was excitedly telling something to Khushi.

Khushi, her senses hyperaware ever since she'd stepped into Shantivan, immediately felt Arnav's presence.

She looked up to see him at the top of the stairs. The world seemed to melt away as their gazes met, and suddenly she felt happier than ever.

Anjali nudged Payal with her elbow and they both exchanged a meaningful look with Devyani. All three of them could see the wistful staring, plain as day right in front of everyone.

Stifling a giggle, Anjali continued on with her plan.

"Khushi-ji... would you please do me a favour and retrieve the plate for me? I really should be going to greet all the guests now," she bit her lip, trying her best to look worried.

Within moments, Khushi was off to fetch a plate of powder Anjali had conveniently 'forgotten' at the poolside.

As everyone else left for the courtyard, Anjali paused just for a moment - just to see her brother purposefully stride down the steps and off in the opposite direction. Towards the poolside. Towards Khushi.

Yes! Anjali grinned, congratulated herself on a job well done, and set off for the courtyard herself.

She was so excited about her successful plan, she didn't even notice that her husband had disappeared somewhere.

------------------

Thank you so much for reading!

Update schedule: one new chapter every Thursday.

Please vote & comment if you enjoy this journey! I would be thrilled to have your feedback and it means so much to me to know there are people out there appreciating the tremendous amount of work and love that I've poured into this story :)