RBTD (08) New Accomplices

>>Hardening 08 (New Accomplices)

When I awoke, I could feel my arm was wet from the boy’s tears. Was that just a dream...? Was I imagining it…? Or…?

Just as I started to review what happened, I realized that man and woman were in the train, they were panting, and so was everyone else. I noticed that the man’s, Omid I think, leg was terrily injured. What happened while I was out? I was so lost!

As I noticed that, I also found out the train was going. They must’ve moved the truck somehow or found a way around it. I looked over and noticed that Ben and Evie were still sleeping. I quickly moved my attention to Evie’s breathing. She was breathing, but barely. She wasn’t going to make it much longer. Her face was starting to pale even more than it already had. She was nearing the end. There was no hope!

I looked over at Travis. “What happened…?” I looked over at everyone who looked exhausted. Travis looked at me like I was a fool, but realised I would lash at him if he said anything of what his face showed.

“We got the truck away…” He looked down at the floor. “However, a group of walkers started coming, so we had to quickly go. Lee and Omid were stuck on the bridge, and when they jumped, Omid hurt his leg. Christa went out to help him, and Lee pulled them in.”

“Okay…” I said, noticing Travis looked displeased with my reply. “Thank you for teling me, is everyone alright?”

Travis’s face suddenly turned pale and looked over at my sister. “Kenny said…” He started to choke on his words. “Kenny said we have to kill her before she turns… I’m sorry but she won’t make it… Even Katjaa is surprised she is alive… I…” He looked at me with a pleading face. I could tell he didn’t want me to harass him, since he wasn’t the one who made that decision. That was one thing I remembered of my sister’s character. She hated when people made decisions for others.

I went up to the driving area where Kenny was. He was driving, making sure the tracks stayed clear of walkers or anything of the like. I made my way up to him. I noticed that much of what I had seen of Kenny was based off of true emotion. Logic was hardly involved in his actions. My sister wasn’t bit, so she didn’t need to be killed. He just wanted to kill any threat to the people he knew. I ignored the real reason I was there, and asked totally unrelated questions.

“Kenny.” I said looking at him, his back facing me. “I--”

“I’m sorry!” He shouted, knowing why I was there. “We have to kill her. If we don’t, she’ll come back and get us all! After someone dies, they don’t have a lot of time before they become a walker! She isn’t going to make it. Katjaa told me she hasn’t long.”

Ignoring the rudeness he displayed by interrupting me, I calmly asked, “What was my sister like when you met her? I’ve heard you were the one who took her in and fought for her?”

There was a short interlude of silence. “Yeah. That fucker Larry wanted her gone, but she could help us, and we could help her. I doubt she was a danger to the group, and if she was, then we’d get rid of her, right?! She was horribly wounded, she was outnumbered, if she was a bandit, she wouldn’t give herself up like that, right?”