RBTD (07) Switching to the Other Side

>>Hardening 07 -(Switching to the Other Side)

As I saw Evie collapse on the really tall boy, Ben, I noticed how worse her breathing was. I knew she had been through a lot. Finding our parents dead, surviving with complete strangers so close to the woods… But whatever she was put through, her lungs were at the limit. I could tell with a bleak outlook for the future, she was going to die soon.

That boy Ben had no clue how to handle the situation. He was just kind of sitting there in shock as my sister fell on him and her breathing worsened. Evie was always so awkward, rash, and stupid, trying to predict what she may do always led to four possibilities. Her emotions were always clearly expressed on her face and her voice. She was easier to read than a book, but similar to a good thriller, it was hard to predict her actions since they were always based on emotion. Not logic.

That other boy, Travis, went over to them and assessed the situation. He was just as flustered, but he seemed high handed. When Ben said something like how she may be dead, Travis told him to shut up and said that she wasn’t. Even though I should’ve helped a little bit, this situation was more like a comical stunt of morons who have never needed to help anyone before. I wanted to burst out laughing, but that would be rude to everyone here.

Suddenly, Travis sat back and looked at me with worry in his eyes. “I’m no doctor, but I think we can all tell that she…”

I nodded. “I know.” I said looking down at my younger sister in despair. “I know she is nearing the end. Quickly.” I turned around and looked outside. Then I suddenly remembered the day we were packing for our camping trip. Evie had said she was going to bring her inhaler, but was boasting how she would never need it. That was it! I knew I was ignorant at times, but now I felt just as moronic as those two!

I took Evie’s bag and started rummaging through it. As expected, I found her inhaler. Even if Evie was dying, she was too prideful to use this thing since she said it makes her look “weird.” Well, we’re all “weird” now, so there’s no point in dying if you can live!

I quickly put the inhaler in her mouth and softened her breathing. Her wheezing died away, but I could tell it was more than her asthma at work. I could tell she had the flu or something like that since when I felt her, she was running a high fever.

Isn’t it summer? How could she have gotten a fever like this? I turned over to Travis, knowing he was the more dependable one for information. “How long has she been like this?”

Travis looked at me in surprise then looked at Ben. “I don’t know… A few days? She hasn’t really eaten either… Only once… We only really came here a few days ago… Maybe a week ago… She was here before us and we never really talked until the morning I woke her up and she couldn’t stand right.”

“Couldn’t stand right?!” I looked at him with a serious tone. “That means… She’s sick… No…” I couldn’t believe this, but I had to tell them all before it happens. “If you all can’t tell, my sister tears faster than a newly bloomed flower’s petals. No matter what, she won’t be able to survive in a world like this… She’ll die soon, probably from exhaustion rather than the walking.” I gazed around at everyone. No one seemed particularly attached to her. I am guessing she knew she was going to die and never wanted to get close to anyone… “Let’s hope for the best, and if she dies, I’ll have to kill her. No one but we will kill her, got it?”