I. A New Quarter

(Y/n) - Your name
(B/f/n) - Best (female) friend's name
(M/n) - Mom's name
(D/n) - Dad's name

"Ugh!" You mumbled into the comforts of your pillow. You couldn't believe it was already Monday and the start of a new school quarter. It felt like seconds ago when you launching fireworks at the coronation party with (B/f/n). The two of you even saw Prince Ben and Mal nearly kiss! You were glad that the whole ordeal of the villain kids was over when they decided to side with good. It was ironic that Jane, the daughter of the renown Fairy Godmother, had been the one to break Maleficent out of the Isle of the Lost while Mal, the daughter of the wicked Maleficent, had been the one to save Auradon from her mother's destruction. Nevertheless, this decision brought great relief to all of the students at Auradon Prep, and you especially. There would be no more silly debates between peers about villain kids and hero kids, and no more worrying from Audrey. Which was great, considering Audrey was your dormmate who loved to rant about everything.

"Get up, (Y/n)!" Audrey's slightly annoying voice cut through your morning bliss as she nudged you. After this attempt didn't work, you felt her faint footsteps tap on the carpet floor and reside. You smiled to yourself and snuggled deeper into the warmth of your blankets until a bright, scorching light smacked your eyelids and burned into your soul. "You can't be late for your classes or I'll get a bad roommate reputation!" Audrey had activated her secret weapon: the opening of the curtains.

"How do I, being late, affect you?" You grumbled, rolling out of bed. Audrey was sometimes naive, believing all of the things that the 'good' adults told her. Apparently, the world revolved around her, and any acts deemed 'not good' (like you being late to class) would affect how she would appear as a person. But being such a "hero kid" like her didn't mean that Audrey didn't have any faults. Her parents raised her in a sugar-coated world. So naturally, Audrey didn't know a thing about the feelings of others. Sure she was kind (she gave alms to the poor, led many club charities), but the kindest people had to be able to understand or relate to others as well (in your humble opinion). Audrey just skipped around with an attitude that said, "I'm so sorry you lost your parents, I'll be your friend! But on the bright side, I still have my parents!"

Not that anything remotely "bad" happened at Auradon anyways. In fact, nothing interesting happened until the villain kids had made their arrival at the school. You were glad that there was a change.

Maybe you could change your habits and try to wake up earlier, instead of procrastinating on your homework all the time. Still sluggish, you pulled yourself up and brushed yourself off. "Fine, I'll get ready."

"Good!" Audrey smiled, satisfied. She picked up her pink purse and did a small spin, looking herself over in the full-sized mirror in your room. "Everything looks good, bye roomie!" She strutted out of the room with confidence in her stride. "I'm going to hang with my besties now, so see you later!"

You wondered if Audrey ever considered how much her words could hurt someone. 'I'm going to hang with my besties now!' What were you to her, Isle Leftovers? You quickly did your hair and got into your usual attire. Grabbing your books, you rushed out of the room. There would be no time for breakfast; your first class was all the way across the campus and you didn't want to be late.

༻º❀º༺

You were slumped over on your desk in your Social Studies classroom, your head resting on an arm. Daydreams droned out the lecture on Auradonian landforms as you imagined couples and castles and vacations. Gods, you could really use a vacation right now. Absentmindedly, you doodled Mal and Prince Ben kissing at the coronation party. You smiled as you added colorful fireworks with your assortment of colored pens and highlighters. I'm such an artist, you thought wryly, they should hire me to paint the portraits of King Beast.

The tap of chalk on the blackboard called your attention back to your Social Studies teacher, Professor Camilia. Clad in her professional white dress shirt and black trousers and armed with the awful sound of screeching chalk against the board, Professor Camilia always commanded her students' attention. On the first day of school, she had made sure that every student, you included, understood that her classroom was not one where they could mess around with. (No one would ever forget the moment she called Ally out for not paying attention by reading aloud the notes she was passing with Jordan.) It was a place to learn.

"Remember, class, that the quiz on the northeastern Auradon lands is this Friday," Professor Camilia reminded, writing the date on the side of the blackboard. "Now, I understand that you all enjoyed the coronation party?" At the mention of Prince Ben's coronation party, the classroom exploded.

"It was amazing!"

"Honestly, even if Ben's the prince, he shouldn't be all over Mal so much in public-"

"Too much PDA, right?"

"You were there too, weren't you, Professor?"

The classroom went silent at the thought of their cranky, conservative Social Studies teacher attending a modern party. "Of course," she chuckled, "even I can't miss the greatest party of the year! Every good Auradon citizen should've attended that.

"That's beside the point, however," the professor continued, "Our next project is going to be a very special one. I call it, 'Finding an Interesting Lover'!"

You and the rest of the class stared blankly at your Social Studies teacher. Were you going from Auradon landforms to methods in which people fell in love? How to find your soulmate 101?

"It's a very simple project, and it will last for this entire school quarter," Professor Camilia explained. You sighed as the realization that you had a project sunk in and pulled out your planner to record the details. "To make the instructions quick and simple, I am hosting a Fairy Tale party at the end of this quarter. Find a date to accompany you to the party. If you do not find a date, you fail. Nine weeks, students! Any questions or comments?" Hands shot up in the air.

"With all due respect, professor, this class is Social Studies... How does this project relate to anything?"

Professor Camilia gave your fellow classmate a knowing smile, "Darling, we are enhancing our social skills in this project. You know that all successful heroes and heroines end up with a date or lover by the end of the Fairy Tale, don't you?" The classroom fell silent and hands went down. You frowned. Perhaps Snow White or Cinderella ended up with a prince charming, but surely there were single leaders out there. In regards to what you learned in Auradon Prep, however, most 'Fairy Tales' indeed ended with a marriage.

"This project will not take the entire duration of our classes, unfortunately," Professor Camilia continued, "We are going to start our unit on Parental Background starting tomorrow.

"To introduce this unit, I would like everyone to write a report on their parents and their history. Have it to present in front of the class this coming Monday." Parents and history, huh, you thought to yourself. It must be nice for people like your dormmate, Audrey, to flaunt their parents' love stories. You raised your hand. "Yes, (y/n)?"

"What if our parents aren't famous?" You asked, seeing a couple of other hands go down. At least you weren't alone in that department. Your parents weren't famous. They didn't have a Fairy Tale book about them; they passed their history down orally through you. It didn't matter if they were famous though. To you, your parents were just (m/n) and (d/n). And that didn't make them any less special. (That didn't stop (d/n) from claiming to have appeared in a fairy tale book as a villager though.)

"Just write what you can," the professor sighed. "And keep Project Finding an Interesting Lover in mind this quarter!"

"This project is going to be a fail," you muttered while stuffing your materials into your bag.

"Pardon?" Professor Camilia asked. On cue, the bell rang and you blended into the crowd of your departing peers before you could get in trouble with the professor. Saved by the bell as always, you thought, or perhaps it had been planned. Adjusting your backpack on yourself, you swiftly made your way to your next classroom.

It looked like Prince Ben's Coronation party was just the set off to a cycle of failed reports, awkward social interactions, and a cruel project. What a great way to start a new quarter.