Chapter 23: Words

With a deep breath, Naomi closed the last of her clothes drawers. She had been dreading this moment. At least as long as there were things to be unpacked, there was something for her to concentrate on. But now, everything was out of the suitcases and put away where it belonged.

She stood to her feet and put her hands on her hips. She looked around, desperately trying to think of what to do next, lest she melt into a sorry pool of self-pity.

Strongly feeling the need to get out of the apartment and clear her head, she decided to just take her motorcycle out for a drive. The fresh air would surely do her some good.

She pulled on her old leather jacket, her new one having been sent to the cleaners after the gruesome events of the previous night. A pain twisted in her stomach, though, as thinking of the jacket made her think of the one who had gifted it to her.

But she couldn't think that way anymore. She was stupid enough to have thought that way in the first place.

Grabbing her keys and her purse, she opened her front door to leave.

But she stopped abruptly with a sharp intake of breath.

L stood there, shoulders hunched and one hand behind his back. The other hand was raised in a fist, like he had just been about to knock. His eyes widened, startled at the door opening.

A tense awkwardness hung between them. Naomi took a deep breath.

"Do you need something?" she asked calmly.

Slowly, L lowered his hand. He didn't answer. He just looked at her.

Naomi's way of speaking to him had returned to the way it was when she had first begun working for him. No candid "Hi!" and no cheerful, playful smile. Just a polite, professional tone.

"I was just going out, but if you need me, I can wait."

She stood with one hand casually holding the handle of her purse over her shoulder and the other down by her side.

Slowly, he brought his hand out from behind his back. Pinched between his thumb and index finger was a long, wooden skewer and stacked on it was a line of bright red strawberries. He extended it out to her, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

Naomi looked down at the strawberry kebob and then back up at L. She wasn't sure how to respond.

He moved his arm up and down slightly, wanting her to accept his offering.

Meeting his gaze with an aching heart, she lifted a hand and took the skewer.

His hand immediately retreated to his pocket.

"Well... thank you," she said, a little uneasily.

"I know you like them." He cracked his toes into the carpet.

Naomi nodded, forcing a small smile. "Yes, I do."

L just kept looking at her.

"Um..." She gestured stiffly toward him. "How's your shoulder?"

"It hurts," he said plainly.

Naomi nodded and swallowed.

Silence.

She looked around awkwardly, twirling the skewer back and forth with the fingers of both hands.

"Soo..."

"Can I come in?" He spoke abruptly.

Naomi looked up at him, surprised by the request.

"I have the final case report." He held up a USB drive.