Chapter 20: Impulse

"L!"

Naomi burst into the apartment, not bothering to knock.

L swung around in the computer chair and shot her a look that could kill. He was on the phone.

Both of Naomi's hands flew up to clamp her mouth shut. Oops.

She waited impatiently, fidgeting with her hands and pacing back and forth.

At last, L hung up the phone and began scrolling on the computer.

Naomi stepped forward immediately.

"L, I know who The Bishop is!"

"It's Gerard Leveque," L said flatly.

Naomi's mouth fell open. "What- how do you know?"

"There's no time to explain right now." L rolled the computer chair over to another monitor and began typing vigorously.

Naomi suddenly felt irritated. "L, please listen to me... Gerard is going to be at this church tonight and-"

"Misora, please, I have this under control!" 

Naomi took an instant disliking to being shoved out of the loop. She had valuable information to contribute, and he wasn't listening. Her hands lifted to rest on her forehead in aggravation. It was Sunday, and she knew where The Bishop would be tonight! If he could only hear her words... She tried one more time.

"L," she spoke firmly, placing a hand on the desk and leaning toward him. "I know where he's going to be! If you could just-"

"Misora!" L spun around and yelled, making Naomi jump back. His eyes shot daggers at her as he flung his arm behind him and pointed at the door. "I am working against the clock here and I need every spare second! Please, leave me to my work and I will call you when I am ready for you."

"But-"

"That's an order, agent!"

Naomi's brow lowered into a scowl and her lips pursed together tightly. She spun on her heel and moved with quick, agitated steps out of the apartment, shutting the door a little too loudly behind her.

Once inside her own apartment, she began unpacking angrily, for lack of anything better to do. Inwardly, she fumed at L, forming her perfectly legitimate argument inside her head. Why was he acting like this? She had valuable information, and he didn't even care!

She shoved her clothes into the bureau drawers and slammed them shut, muttering irritably to herself. It would be another whole week before the whereabouts of The Bishop could be almost guaranteed, and another innocent life could very well be taken in the meantime.

If he would only listen...

And then, something occurred to Naomi. Even if L refused to hear her out and send a police squad to the church, she could still go... Arresting The Bishop all by herself was out of the question, but she didn't need to do that. All she needed was to snap a quick picture, and she'd have photographic evidence that Gerard Leveque was still alive.

She stood in the silence of her apartment, thinking it over. Distantly, across the hall, she could hear L's muffled voice talking on the phone.

Stubbornly, she stepped forward and grabbed her keys and her gun, tucking the Glock into the back of her jeans. Then, flinging her door open and slamming it again behind her, she moved with determined steps toward the elevator.

 Then, flinging her door open and slamming it again behind her, she moved with determined steps toward the elevator