Chapter eight: Wrong.

Start from the beginning

"To hell with that," I say and fight a smile. "I have you. Right?"

His arms uncross. "Because idiots like you need a brain. Yeah, I think I forgot about that for a second." I get to see him smile again and my heart melts. I'm fully aware that his only friend, the clever girl Sadie is staring at us wide-eyed until it turns into a smug smile. Her surprise doesn't even come close to beating the looks on my so-called bros' faces. They actually look like they've seen a ghost. Especially Jason. He seems to be in total shock over my actions when I take Cory's hand and give him an affectionate look. I lead him over to Jason with only a few words to say.

"It's true that I'm joining the forces and by what my father tells me so are you. And we're in the same squad. I hope we can keep up a friendly attitude between us despite... well, this. And if you still wanna be bros, I'll be glad to... although I think that's probably too much to ask of you right now."

When I'm about to turn around and leave, I feel my boyfriend tug my wrist so I turn toward Jason again. "Actually," Cory begins. "All three of us are gonna be in the same squad."

It takes a minute before the words sink in.

"What?" Jason and I say in unison.

Cory rolls his eyes. "You heard me," he says with a smile playing his lips. "I stopped by your house to talk to your dad last night when you were asleep. And as far as I've understood everyone who signed up from this school are in the same squad - at least for training. I don't know about after that."

There's not a time I've loved him more. I sweep him up in my arms and he bangs on my chest to make me put him back on his feet. "Are you serious?" I say, eyes like Christmas lights.

"Yes, you freak, now put me down before you turn me into a woman!"

I comply with a chuckle, but I don't completely let go of Cory. I stare at him and try to cherish how perfect he is.

Even Jason, who doesn't seem too happy about the idea, fights his demons and shakes Cory's hand. Then he turns to me. "Um," he begins awkwardly. "For what it's worth I think you made some brave decisions and, uh, I'll see around, okay?"

I reach out my hand, hoping he'll take it. "Definitely okay," I say. He takes my hand and with a nod, he disappears alongside our other teammates. So I decide to give my reputation the final blow by getting the satisfaction of kissing Cory in front almost every single person I know.

I love being alive.

...

A sharp light awakens me and my eyes hurt, I discover. The door to my cage is open and that Sadie is the one blinding me, Cory is shaking me, and Jason is trying to decide what to do. When they realize they haven't lost me, they let me lie on the ground and let me come to my senses.

"Hey," Cory says. "You still in there?"

I look into his eyes. Cory McDean, just 23 years old and already leading the most professional squad in General Alden's army. General Thomas Alden, who is my father and who refused to understand my relationship with Cory until he finally realized that I was serious about my boyfriend - which was after years. My mom - Elizabeth Alden - wasn't unwelcoming towards Cory. Having been raised in a conservative family, my relationship to Cory was something she needed to swallow to start with. Still, she has only ever been kind to him. Cory's dad, Jack, has always thought of his son as the most important person in life. He was kind to me even though he knew how I've treated Cory in the past. I used to push Cory around because I knew I could. Because he had this special way of looking at me. I was trying to convince myself it was all him, but in reality he has always been special to me. That's why I have to tell him the truth. Because now I'm sure what I've seen in those dreams is my past even if that life seems far behind me now.