Chapter ten: Cause.

For once, I spend the night outside of my cage. I lie next to Cory and watch him sleep. We've been inseparable since yesterday. I reach out and let my hand run through his hair. It's shorter than I remember. He also looks a little older and a beard is growing on his chin and cheeks. I touch it with the tips of my fingers. I try my best not to be too clumsy about it, so I won't wake him up. He's really here. I'm really here. 

I glance around the room. Jason is snoring loudly and Sadie is sleeping curled up on her side. Isaac and Brendan are keeping watch. They acknowledge me as I scramble to sit up. The day is dawning. Just as I realize that, something strikes me. There's something I have forgotten. I try to pull my shirt down enough to expose my shoulder and upper arm. I am searching for any puncture marks that the syringe might have left behind. To my surprise, I can't find one. I don't understand. I'm sure Sadie did something to me. So sure that I'm going to ask her about it. 

I drag myself back to the couch. I promised I would comply with daily check-ups; one in the morning and one at night-time so they can document what's happening to me. All I have to do is wait for Sadie to wake up. 

It takes about a half an hour before they're all up. Cory squeezes my hand when he gets up. They quickly begin to pack their gear - everyone except for Sadie. We have to get ready to move soon. Sadie brings her medical bag and her notebook with her. She gives me a worried glance. 

"How are you feeling?" she asks.

I shrug. "Okay," I reply.

She nods and begins by listening to my heart. Then she makes a few notes. Next, she takes my blood pressure and checks my vitals. When I'm sure everyone else is occupied, I grab her hand. She nearly shrieks in surprise. 

"W-what are you d-doing?" I ask. 

Her eyes widen. "Helping," she whispers, desperately checking to see that no-one has heard. "Please don't say anything. Not yet."

I nod slowly. Cory is coming over to us. Sadie gives me another begging look. 

"So are you ready to get your old weapon back?" he asks.

I frown at him.

"Your gun," he explains and holds it out. 

I take it from him. "You k-kept it," I say. 

He shrugs. "Yeah. You didn't bring it on your last mission. I found it back home. In your drawer."

Grinning at him, I smile as I remember our home. It's just a room with a bed in my parents' house, but it's ours. I can't wait to go back.

Sadie gives me another begging look as she finishes up and lets me get back to my feet. Cory helps me. I make him understand that I want to practice my shooting. Cory agrees, saying there's a bit of time left. They need to make sure that the passage is clear anyways. Cory puts a silencer on my gun and we construct a makeshift shooting range. 

"Ready?"

I point my gun at an old can. My view is clear and my breath even. All I have to do is pull the trigger and eliminate the threat. My arm is stretched out in a straight line because Cory is holding it steady. He's also the one instructing me. Regaining the ability to use my hands and  keeping one finger on the trigger poses a challenge for me, but I'm not giving up. I take the shot. The vibrations go through my arm and I wobble, but stay on my feet.

"Good," Cory says. He shows me that the bullet scratched the can. 

My aim isn't what it used to be. I try a few more times. Then I become confused and couldn't even hit myself if I tried. The gun is very heavy and I nearly drop it. That's when Jason steps in, handing me a knife.He promises to help me to get the strength to fight again. I react very slowly,  but Jason and Cory are very patient with me. I'm not very patient at all. It annoys me that I can't do anything without their assistance.