Chapter four: (Un)Identified.

I wake up with Cory's arms still wrapped tightly around me. It's like he thinks he can physically shield me from my nightmares. No matter how much we both wish he could, it doesn't work that way. My head is pounding and I have to start another day sleep-deprived and exhausted.

I turn around in Cory's arms and watch him sleep. Moments like these are the only times when his face is completely worry-free and he looks more like the old Cory. The one who didn't have to worry about survival all the time, the one who would always drown anyone who challenged him in an ocean of sarcasm. He's still full of it today. Sometimes, he takes it out on me, sometimes on Jason or whoever is nearest. It can be the most annoying thing in the world just as well as it can be the funniest thing I know.

I can't help myself and lean in to kiss Cory's forehead. It makes him stir a little, and frown in his sleep. I smile. I lean in again to kiss him on the lips, and feel his arms tighten around me.

"What time is it?" he asks without opening his eyes.

"Six in the morning," I reply. It means we have to get up in 30 minutes.

Cory groans a little, probably wanting to go back to sleep. But I have other plans. I begin by kissing his chest and he peeks at me, contemplating, while my lips continue their work. Then he flips us around, him on top of me, and our kissing session intensifies. Cory's touch is exactly what I need to forget about the things I've seen in my dreams.

15 minutes later, I reluctantly get dressed and we both head out. I have to meet with Isaac and talk to him about my upcoming mission and Cory has to do some work with Jason and a couple of other recruits outside the walls. I won't see him until we both get home tonight.

Cory hasn't tried to ask me a single question about my nightmares this morning. I have to admit it surprises me. Instead, he barely says much at all, perhaps just needing the silence. We exit the front door and Cory caresses my chin with eyes full of worry, before we separate to go in different directions.

I find Isaac waiting for me near the rehabilitation center, taking me for a walk along the fence. He quietly explains that most of the returned are still in the center and a few are now living a few streets away, some of them going for drinks in the only bar we have. They make beer and some stronger spirits. Those two are the only kinds of alcohol we have in camp and the bar is the only place you can go to 'party' - although that's not something we tend to do a lot these days. If ever. Nevertheless, the alcohol helps dull painful memories.

"You'll be put in unit five," Isaac says, continuing to brief me while we walk towards unit 5. "That's where they are being prepped to be released into camp population. It's also where they get family visits and stuff. Sadie and her staff encourages visits based on the fact that it speeds up recovery. Your job will be to report anything irregular you may see."

I agree and we stop near the unit I'll be spending some time in. From the outside, the inhabitants look quiet and anything but dangerous. Instead, they just look lost. I takes me back to the time when I was beginning to have dreams of my Cory and my old life, to the time before I understood what was happening to me.

"There are about 20 returned in there," Isaac continues and I listen carefully while we observe from a distance.

I don't like the way Isaac speaks of these people, like they're caged animals, but I don't say that. I know Isaac doesn't mean anything by it.

"You'll be eating with them and sleeping next to them for a about a week. That should give you enough time to get to know them a little bit and see if there is a viable threat inside the center."

I nod.

Isaac's eyes narrow. "Is there something else on your mind, Jay?" he asks. "You seem worried?"