Chapter Three

~Chapter Three~

This is a terrible idea.

My eyes jump from the blue eye stranger's back to his companion floating over his shoulder.

I shouldn't be following them.

I need to leave.

But my feet never falter from their course to the front of the house. I push my finger against my bottom lip to confront myself as my body seemingly defies the voice screaming inside my head.

The woman's wispy spirit detaches from the stranger's right shoulder and I slow my steps as she solidifies a few steps in front of me again. She flashes me a bright smile as she reaches a hand out to me.

"It's going to be okay," she tells me as she gently brushes her cold hand across my arm, causing my heart to quickly claw its way up my throat when static zings up my arm.

Holy crow, I think in astonishment as I try my best to not freak out, I felt her.

I've only ever met one other spirit that could physically touch me. Her name was Lucy, a sweet old woman who watched over her dying husband. She didn't fully know how she did it, but she told me it might be because she linked a small piece of her soul with his before moving on.

She called herself his guardian angel, I remember as I shake myself from my thoughts, but she did warn me that the connection could be created with any strong emotion.

I take another peek at Blue Eye's spirit as she skips back to his side, and concentrate on her form until a haze of color surrounds her. It has taken years of practice, and many bloody noses from overdoing it sometimes, but now I can see the full spectrum of color a soul might have within their aura. Essentially, showing me a diagram of that soul's complete character.

This woman's aura consists of four different colors. Light blue and pink encompass her completely, telling me she's a loyal and caring person. The other two colors, bright red and yellow, lay under the first layer of colors and mostly swirl around her heart. Which means she's passionate about following her heart and making the people she loves happy.

My focus is broken when she stops to look back over her shoulder at me, probably to see if I am still following.

I should be running away, I tell myself when my bare feet find the cold concrete walkway to the front door.

"Just a slight warning," the boy's deep voice pulls my attention from the spirit, and I see him waiting for me with his back to the door, "these fuckers might seem intimidating, but I promise they won't hurt you." My eyebrows pinch together in worry.

Why does he feel the need to tell me that? Not really sure how to respond to his warning, I just stay quiet as he gives me a single nod before spinning around to fling open the door.

"Oy, cool your shit I've found her," Blue Eyes yells as he walks into the house. The woman's chuckle floats back to me as she skips after him, leaving me standing at the threshold with conflicting emotions.

A part of me is demanding that I run. That going inside a house full of strangers that seemingly kidnapped me is a stupid idea.

Though another part is all but physically pushing me through the door.

I glance over my shoulder to the street just a couple feet away from the house and can sense the evil lurking in the dark shadows.

Just waiting for me to lower my guard.

I take a deep breath to banish the sparks of fear that try to consume me. "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear—not absence of fear," I whisper to help calm my racing heart.