Chapter Two

~Chapter 2~

*~*Dakota Lee's POV*~*

Her long lashes flutter against her cheek but unfortunately stay closed, preventing me from seeing what could only be beautiful eyes. Her body shutters slightly within my hold, and I bring her even closer as I try to keep her warm. Max's tiny whimper finally forces me to look away from her stunning face and over to him to catch him looking over to the front door of the church.

"What is it, Max?" I carefully stand up with the girl's tiny body curled inside my arms. A growl rumbles from Max's chest, putting me on edge as he positions himself in front of us.

Footsteps echo within the almost empty space and Max's growl becomes more aggressive as he snaps his teeth at the danger.

"Sing Sang Soooong!" A male's voice sings out from the direction of the door causing me to tighten my arms around the girl.

I'm caught off guard when this burning pain races across my mind, causing my vision to fade in and out as I fall to my knees. I slow my decent the best I can to keep from losing my grip on the girl, and try to keep myself from blacking out.

Feeling completely overwhelmed with whatever is mentally attacking me, I use what little energy I can focus on amongst the pain and reach inside of me to latch on to one of the eight spiritual links I have with my brothers.

Guard your mind, Mr. Lee, the stern voice of my family's leader commands from within my own thoughts. I feel his strong energy surrounding me as he fends off the pain so I can quickly build my walls around my mind.

I sigh in relief as the pain fades away, allowing me to catch my breath again as I blink the black dots away from my vision.

"What do we have here?" I hear the man's voice come again, even closer than before. I jerk my head up to find him standing on the other side of the aisle of seats, hiding in the darkness. "Looks like you have something that belongs to me, Boy."

His voice growls in an inhuman way as his head tilts down to the girl wrapped in my arms. I quickly stand and shift to the side to create a shield with my body as he slowly prowls through the shadows around us.

"Hand her over," he demands as he lifts his hand out of the darkness and holds it out to me like I would so easily hand her over.

"Not happening," I tell him as I put more distance between us. A snake-like hiss seeps from his chest as he curls his fingers into his palm.

My muscles tense up when he takes a step out of the shadows, only to stop before the moonlight can touch his face. Another hiss escapes his lips as his head slowly turns in the direction of the entrance of the church.

"Looks like I'll have to wait," he growls before turning to face me again. "Don't get too attached. I'll be back for what's mine." The girl's body shivers within my tight grip. Even unconscious, she can sense the pure evil of his promise, and I bring her closer to me.

"Don't worry," I whisper down to her. "No one will take you from us."

"We'll see about that, Boy." The man's deep laughter fills the silence around us and he moves back into the shadows. His evil aura disappears the moment the front doors slam open.

"KOTA!" A rush of footsteps pulls my attention from the now empty space in front of me to catch a flash of red as my Nathan runs over from the entryway. "What the hell's going on?"

"I don't..." My voice fades out a little as I try collecting my scattered thoughts. "I don't know, but she seems to be in the middle of it." I loosen my bone-crushing hold around the girl and gently lower her from where she was buried against my chest. The moonlight lights up her beautiful face again, and I hear Nathan's breathy gasp as he takes a half step closer.