Pilot

Rumple P.O.V

I sat in my cell just bidding my time, knowing that my plans are already in motion. I ensured that Regina had the best training that I could give her. I couldn't entrust my delicate plans to be thwarted by a novice. There was only one other person who could have accomplished my plans and something extra. My daughter Verina was an extremely capable sorceress for her young age. She impressed me by how quickly she learned even the most difficult of spells. I could sense her immense powers from the day she was given to me. However, the price for this curse was too high, even for her.

As I climbed my cell, I couldn't help but worry about her safety. I knew that she would follow my instructions but I panicked about how fool-proof it was. One of us had to be safe from the curse. I knew that she would do everything to free me. It was imperative to keep her safe. My thoughts were interrupted by Snow White and Prince charming approaching my cell in ridiculous cloaks. The guard began shouting at me to answer "his" question which irritated me.

"No you don't. They do. Snow White and Prince Charming." I rebutted as I jumped down from the ceiling. "Step into the light and take off those ridiculous robes." I instructed them which they did.

"that's much better" I commented now that I had an unobstructed view of them. The prince began to state why they came but i quickly silenced him. I hated being told what I already knew. Foresight can be a finicky thing sometimes.

"Yes, yes I know why you're here! You want to know about the Queen's threat." I snapped at him. My quick commented struck a cord with Snow just as I thought. She eagerly demanded me to share what I knew. I smiled inside knowing that getting what I wanted from them would be far too easy. It would be like ripping out a heart in someone's sleep.

"Oh, tense aren't we. But fear not for I can ease your mind. But its going to cost you something in return." I replied which enticed Snow further despite her husband's protests.

She desperately asked my price which was very simple: the name of their unborn child. This was the only piece of the future that I couldn't see. Given their dire circumstance and how trivial this information seemed, I knew that Snow would be eager to make a deal. My assumption proved to be correct as the stupid woman agreed without hesitation.

"Ah, the Queen has created a powerful curse and its coming. Soon you'll all be in a prison just like me! Only worse, for your prison, all of our prisons will be time. For time will stop and we will be trapped someplace horrible, where everything we hold dear, everything we love will be ripped from us, while we suffer for all eternity, while the Queen celebrates, victorious at last! No more happy endings." I answered with my normal flare of theatrics

"What can we do?" Snow asked with fear deep in her eyes

"We can't do anything." I chuckled

"Who can?" Snow implored

"That little thing growing inside your belly." I answered as I pointed to her stomach.

The Prince rudely swatted my hand with his sword which made me retract it. I glared at him before continuing.

"The infant is our only hope. Get the child to safety. Get the child to safety and on its...28th birthday the child will return. The child will find you and the final battle will begin!" I gleefully giggled as they walked away.

However, they tried to get out of our deal. My roars for her name made them stop and finally tell me. I look forward to meeting this Emma. Once again, I was left alone with my thoughts.

~Storybrooke 28 yrs later~

Like every night, I read Vera's school reports. I already had a headache just going over her history teachers letter. She was causing chaos and disrupting class continuously, even taking over lectures. She was actually passing with high marks, it was just her behavior that was dismal. It was just like her to be an excellent student but that icy demeanor pushed everyone away. I knew the rest of the reports would be the same so I didn't bother to read them. I was about to sleep until I heard the door creak open. I swiftly grabbed my cane and sprung to the hallway outside the study. She stopped at the base of the stairs and sighed in defeat. With a grunt, she turned around to face me with her mother's cold blue-green eyes.

"Vera, I read the school reports. Disrupting class, setting videos on fire, slicking the hallways. You're one more prank from being suspended. Why do you love the chaos? You're a smart girl. You can do so much more than being a common prankster." I yelled with frustration lacing every word.

"Enough, Gold. The school is just bluffing. I can't believe that you're falling for their tricks so easily. I'm the schools prized student. They wouldn't dare kick me out unless they want to lose their funding and prestige." Vera retorted as she lightly chuckled.

"Verina Gold, this is not a laughing matter!" I yelled which silenced her.

"I'm sorry for raising my voice. I just care about your future. I only want to give you your best chance in life. If I had been half as brilliant as you, I wouldn't have been stuck being a pawnbroker. It took years of effort to scrounge up enough money to start investing into this town. I never want you to live my mistakes." i replied which seemed to genuinely move her.

"Oh, papa. You have no idea how much..." She said before getting a mischievous gleam in her eye "I don't care about your pathetic concern. I'm just some orphan that was suddenly dropped on your doorstep to be a burden. Stop this creepy display of fake affection. I'm not your daughter and I never will be. So please stop trying to treat me like I'm more than just your ward. Goodnight Gold." She viscously stated as I felt the air turn cold. She ran up to her room and slammed the door to let me know to not bother her.

I slumped against the wall and rubbed my temples. I couldn't blame her for not believing me. Vera came to me when she was only 15 years old, a day after her mother died. Her mother was a friend of mine who named me her guardian in the event of her death. Unfortunately, I was hardly in her life so all she knew was her mum. Even 2 years later, she still hated me. However, I was a terrible parent the first year. I had very little experience with kids but I had a deal to uphold. Vera had the same fiery temper and sting as her mum. I held back the small tears from her viscous words as I stood up. Once I was collected, I grabbed my scarf and coat as I headed for granny's Inn to collect rent.

The walk was fairly short though bumpy since it was through the woods. I silently opened the door and saw that granny had a customer. The name caught me off guard though.

"Emma what a lovely name." I said with a wide smile. The blonde turned around and gave a half hearted thank you. Meanwhile, Granny and Red were shaking in their boots. Granny quickly handed me the rent and shakily assured me that it was the full amount. I took it and brushed off her feebleness.

"Enjoy your stay, Emma." I replied before taking my leave. As I left, I felt a strange sense of happiness. It irked me that I couldn't remember the importance of such a common name. I knew that I wasn't going to sleep well tonight.

Vera P.O.V

After storming up to my room, I sprawled on my bed. I grabbed my ipod and put the music on full blast as I did my homework. I went through it in a breeze and found myself getting bored. This town hardly changed, making it suffocatingly stagnant. I went to my jewellery box and grabbed my necklace. It was the only thing I had from her since the fire.

It was a simple black felt choker with a circular mauve gem in the middle. The gem had a dragon engraved in the middle with some strange symbols surrounding it. The gem was encased in a simple black gold case which matched the clasp material. I felt tears well up so I closed the box quickly. I put my headphones on again and dove under my covers.