Chapter 5

"Emeralds," Indigo harked, lowering herself in the chair Tate held out for her. "This is the dinner you planned." She battled with her coat as her stiff fingers fumbled with the oblong buttons as her café noir optics streamed over the assorted faces situated around tables giving into boisterous conversations and good food.

Green-painted bricks, veneered tables, and white wood floors set the vibe for the upscale burger joint. The flat screens idled on football games and the jukebox in the corner vied for the attention of all the souls that braved the cold temperatures to escape cabin fever. French fries, flame-grilled meats, and barley swirled together prompting growls from empty stomachs and drools to hungry mouths.

"You rather be at some swanky joint where you pay two-fifty for an ounce of beef and four strings of green beans." Tate unbuttoned his suit coat before sitting, "Or have a hearty meal so we won't starve at the gallery."

"I don't want to get burger grease and tomato juice on my pretty shirt," She ran her fingers down her glittery, gold blouse.

"Then wear this." He unfolded the green napkin and shook it in front of her. "Tuck it in your shirt."

Indigo slapped his hand with a laugh, "I'm not wearing that. I'm not five. Are you trying to make me look stupid?"

"Me." He dramatically gasped, slinging the napkin over his thigh, "Never." He perused the green laminated menu on the square table. "You want the black-bean cheddar burger with sweet potato fries?"

She shook her head with her mouth twisted in disgust, "I know we're on this health kick but you can't come to Emerald's and get a veggie burger."

"Tsk. Tsk. Our cheat day isn't until tomorrow." He grinned while reading the menu. "You don't want to break your resolution."

"Fuck a resolution." She pointed to one of the decently described options on the menu, "I want that. The Angus cheddar burger with cayenne fries."

"Is that your final decision?" He shrugged his shoulders out of his suit coat then stood.

"Sure is."

"Okay." He slung the coat over the chair and then went to the counter.

"Wait." Indigo started but he was already too far away and the rumble of merged voices was too loud for him to hear her.

She took her phone out of her gold clutch to see if she had any missed calls or texts. She couldn't help the smile that took hold of her glossed lips at the sight of the picture on her lock screen. It was a trip to the park that was turned into a photo-opt when Greer and Thyme lost their wits around a patch of dandelions and Zane giggled entranced by the weightless, white hairs of pappus floating around them like a dense cloud.

"A thirty-minute wait." He sat down with a faint sigh.

"What'd you get?"

"Oh. Um." He scratched the corner of his mouth, sitting back and expanding his man-spread. "The Dignified Danny."

"What's that?"

"Huh?" He looked over at with the same sneaky, dumbfounded expression Thyme did every time she was caught sneaking juice past her cut-off time (greedy for juice, a tiny bladder, and being a heavy sleeper was a bad combination for her bed) or trying to stay on the computer longer than she was supposed to. "It comes with kale."

"And what else?" She asked, her eyebrows drawn together as the corner of her mouth ticked up..

"It's a—" He started.

She tapped her manicured finger on the menu, "A bison, mushroom, and bacon burger." She smugly smirked. "Who's a cheater, now?"

"I thought I'd break the rules with you." He held up his hand. "Solidarity is important in marriage."