Prologue

Cumulus clouds spread across the cobalt sky

Cumulus clouds spread across the cobalt sky. The July heat produced beads of sweat upon Indigo's skin that trailed down her back and stained her peach tank top. She lifted the aluminum canteen, and to her surprise, she was rewarded with an abundant slosh of crisp water.

She guzzled down the last gulp, her foot digging in the rocky dirt. "I can't believe I let your husband talk me into this."

"This," Saxon quipped as she emptied the groceries from the pocket-filthy backpack. You mean camping?" She chuckled, but her laughter died as she held her temple. "You're the one who wanted to come here for your birthday."

"I wanted to visit Zion National Park...not sleep here." Indigo studied the labored breath Saxon pulled in as she slapped the pack of ground meat on the picnic table, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Saxon exhaled deeply. The spark of flames igniting the heap of wood called her attention. "That hike just wiped me out."

"Then here..." Indigo pulled a half-eaten protein bar from her back pocket. "Refuel."

Saxon waved off the offer, "The burgers will be done before you know it."

"Then eat a chip." Indigo plucked the bag of chips off the table and opened it. "They're barbecue, your favorite."

"Indigo, stop trying to feed me." Saxon dropped the pack of cheese on the table. "I said I'm fine." Her voice hitched up like she was talking to one of her children.

Indigo closed the bag, "Okay."

"Don't put that there." Hazel's outburst snatched the sisters' eyes to the other side of the campground Xavier staked out.

Harrison threw his arms up with a hand clenched around a metal rod, "Then where is it supposed to go?"

"I. Don't'. Know." Hazel rebutted with frustration staining her face.

Harrison gestured to the papers in her hand, "You have the instructions."

Indigo laughed.

Harrison glared Indigo's way, "What's so funny?"

"You." Hazel cast the papers in the air, "I said let's get the one that's already assembled, but you wanted to be cheap."

"For an extra hundred to camp one time. No..." He knelt and grabbed the instructions. "This twenty-dollar one will do the trick."

"That's what I said." Tate quipped, standing in front of the assembled burgundy tent.

Xavier slapped Tate's sweaty arm with a smirk, "Look at how she's looking at you."

Tate's blue eyes drank in the knit of Indigo's arched eyebrows and the twist of her clear glossed lips. "I get that look every day." He waved at her with a curve tugging on the corner of his mouth, "I love you too, girl."

Indigo tsked, then turned back to Saxon, "Anyways—"

"What's going on with ya'll?" Saxon nodded towards Tate.

"He wants another baby." Indigo nabbed her face with a towel she carried along. "I don't."

"Any reason why?"

"Last time..." Indigo sniffed as she settled her eyes on the rigid canyon. "...was difficult to say the least."

"And you're scared."

"I almost died. Then the miscarriage." Indigo shook her head as she folded her arms. "I don't want to go through that again."

"You can't let fear hold you back." Saxon squired sanitizer in the palm of her hand. "Death comes for us all...we just got to enjoy and live it to the fullest with no regrets."

Indigo narrowed her eyes at her, "Sax, are you sure you're okay."

"Peachy." Saxon gave her a full smile that didn't ignite her eyes.

Indigo studied her sister. The last six years had been filled with exciting highs and soul-crushing lows, but over time, they grew closer. Maybe it was motherhood, or they finally learned to communicate without obstructing boundaries. Still, they were becoming a dynamic duo—so much so that Harrison sometimes got a little jealous. With him being Indigo's number one road dog, he wasn't used to sharing the role of the sibling she went to first.

Their growing bond gave her the gift of knowing when she was lying. Saxon's lack of hunger, sluggish energy, and newfound motto of no regrets when she overthought and needed to execute tasks flawlessly. An alarm sounded within Indigo's spirit. Something was wrong, but she was too afraid to ask what.

Is Saxon hiding something?

Is Indigo's reservations about getting pregnant again understandable?

There's no question for Hazel and Harrison (H&H) they're just being them.

Photograph by Zach Betten from Unsplash