Jesus Freaks

"Woah this looks lit." Maxwell took the Bible I brought him out of my hand and analyzed it. I laughed. "So just read this?" He questioned.

"Yeah. I have an app where it gives you a plan for reading your bible. That might help you." I suggested

"Sweet. I'll have to check it out." He handed me his phone so I could type the name of it into the AppStore. "You can just download it for me." He shrugged. I nodded and pressed the 'download' button, and started to hand the phone back to him.

"You can also add your number into my phone if you want." He blushed. "I mean in case we need to make Bible studying plans together. I'll need to text you." He blushed harder. I blushed too, nervously giggling as I typed my number into his contacts.

"There you go. Um- you can text me anytime. Not just about Bible study." I smiled softly.

"Like questions about the Bible and stuff?" He questioned.

"Yeah. About the Bible and stuff." I blushed.

"Sweet."

"Oh I'm starting a club and I need some members. Think you'd be in it? It's sort of like a youth group."

"Sounds fun. I'll be there." He smiled.

We parted ways, and I saw Clarice walking a few paces in front of me.
"Hey Clarice!" I hollered, running to catch up with her.

"Oh...hey Chloe." She looked around at the other students nervously.

"Here." I handed her the Bible I brought. "I'm also starting a youth group club. Do you think you'd want to be a part of it?"

"Maybe." She looked at her foot and moved it in a circle. "I'll think about it."

"Sounds good." I smiled softly.

I walked over to the bulletin board and attached an I Got Jesus club poster.

Eventually Wednesday came. Maxwell and I walked into the classroom where the club would be held together. I was able to convince Makenzie and Emily to come too. We waited for people to show up. Clarice walked in shyly and slowly.

"Hey Clarice!" I waved as she took a seat.

"Hey." She didn't really look up from the table.

A girl with short jet black hair walked in. She had dark brown eyes and wore over sized clothing. Sweats and a large t-shirt.

"Hey! Come on in!" I stood up and walked over to her to greet her. She smiled softly. At first she didn't seem like she wanted to come but once I walked up to her she seemed as if she felt more welcomed. "I'm Chloe." I held my hand out.

She shook my hand. "I'm Taylor."

"Well come on in! We're about to start. I'll introduce you to everyone else."

Two other people joined us that day. While there wasn't a lot I was sure more people would show up over the next few weeks.

The next Wednesday came and Maxwell was really getting into helping out with the club. We were walking through the halls talking about the activity we were doing today.

"Hey it's the Jesus freaks!" Clarice's ex-best friend yelled pointing at us and laughing.

Maxwell looked as if he didn't know what to do, he just looked at me as if he were waiting for me to do something. I stood up straight and confidently, hugging my binder and looked her straight in the eye, smiled softly and said, "Thank you." Everyone in the hall looked at us confused and so do she.

"Um. That's not a compliment." She shot me a confused look.

"Jesus freak?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah. I literally called you a freak."

"No, you didn't call me a 'freak' you called me a Jesus freak. Thank you." She looked at me confused and didn't say anything before Maxwell and I left walking the rest of the way down the hall, people staring.

"You know I like that. DC Talk- an older Christian band- have a song called Jesus Freak. Maybe we should update our signs. The top will say like I Got Jesus club and then it'll say join your fellow Jesus freaks." I told Maxwell. He smiled at me softly and chuckled.

"Yeah...I like that." He wrapped his arm over my shoulders. I looked up at him with my cheeks turning pink. He quickly took his arm off.

"Sorry." He blushed and looked at the floor. I rubbed my arm nervously and shrugged.

"I don't mind it. I mean it's just a friendly thing. Isn't it?" My cheeks somehow turned even more pink.

"Yeah." He chuckled nervously. We looked at each other for a moment.

"Anyway. I should probably start designing the new signs. You know?" I shrugged.

"Yeah. I can help!" He suggested excitedly.

"Okay! Tomorrow after school in the art room?" I smiled. He nodded.