Chapter 2

"BITCHHHHHHHHHHH, I missed you!" Day screamed at me from across the gate where I was waiting to board our flight. As she screamed that, all the older White folk stared at Day in disgust. I was about to say something, but realized it wasn't even worth giving them the blues. I walked up to Day and gave her a big bear hug. "Where's Ni Ni?" I asked Day. "She decided to take a cheaper flight with a different airline. She should be here soon." Day said, shrugging. I decided to take in Day's appearance, since she was glowing. Day was Blasian, more specifically Black and Okinawan (or Japanese). She stood at a STAGGERING 5'1", note my sarcasm. She had shoulder length jet black curly hair, long eyelashes, dimples, and light brown skin. "What you staring at?" she quipped. "Not much." I sassed before laughing out loud. Then my phone rang, cutting my laughter short. "Hello, where you at?" answering the phone. "I'm almost at the gate, hopefully they didn't start boarding yet..." Ni Ni huffed through the phone. "Nah, you Gucci. They'll start boarding in 15 minutes." I replied before hanging up the phone. "So," I said turning my attention back to Day "who's the person behind this glow of yours?" "Me, Myself and I." Day responded while looking everywhere but me. I didn't believe her, but I decided to leave that topic for our 15 hour plane ride to Shanghai. "Hey y'all!" Ni Ni said as she approached us, dragging her carry on behind her. "Hey baby, I missed you!" I said, hugging her. Just like I did Day, I decided to take in Ni Ni's appearance. Ni Ni stood at 5'7", just like me. She was brown skin, with slanted dark brown eyes, and a small gap in between her front teeth. Ni Ni was curvy just like me, except she had a big oleeeee booty. Her hair was naturally curly, but right now she had her hair styled in a sleek shoulder length bob. To put it simply, my best friends were gorgeous. I met Day my freshman year in undergrad and she quickly became one of my first friends on campus. Day and I clicked from day one because we were the only Black girls living in our dorm. I met Ni Ni my sophomore year, and her freshman year, in undergrad. Ni Ni and I clicked because both of us were the only Black people on campus minoring in Mandarin Chinese. I know what you might be thinking, "If they're from Cleveland and you live in Baltimore, what airport are y'all at?" We decided to meet up at an airport in Chicago, since the airfare would be much cheaper. A roundtrip flight from Chicago to Shanghai was $750, which was AMAZING.

"Anything new with you Ni Ni?" I asked. "Ishhhhh, you know, same ole same guy problems and family issues. I am just ready to unwind for the next 11 days. We've got to celebrate your birthday AND you graduating with your Masters!" she said excitedly. Our trip was 11 days, two days of travelling between China and the USA, and the other 9 days would be spent exploring Shanghai. Before I could respond, the airline attendant announced over the intercom that it was time to board our flight. After boarding our flight, Day and Ni Ni decided to get comfy and go to sleep. I was too excited to sleep, so I decided to read a book on Wattpad. I specifically upgraded to the premium option for this trip so I could read books offline without any issues. As I was going through the books a thought hit me, "How come there aren't more stories about dominant Asian men? Do they not exist? Are they all the same?" After studying Mandarin and Chinese culture for eleven years, you would've thought I had more insight into shit like this, but I didn't. Hopefully, this trip would change this perspective for me. As I started reading an AMBW (Asian Man, Black Woman) story, my eyelids started getting heavier and heavier. Once again, I fell into a dreamless sleep, but this time my last thought was on how Asian men and Black women are unwanted.