Chapter 19: Apples to Apples

Start from the beginning

Finno handed her a basket. "Here. Shall we?"

"Yes sir!" She turned and walked to a nearby tree. A few good apples hung close enough for her to reach. She plucked them and placed each gently into the wooden basket.

As he joined her, Nelyo and Káno walked up to them. The tall red haired brother shook his head with a wry smile.

"You get lost?" Nelyo looked at Findekáno pointedly. "Or did you have your mind elsewhere."

Findekáno rolled his eyes and tossed an apple his way. "Eve had some questions."

"Truly?" Nelyo tried unsuccessfully to hide his smirk behind the apple.

Káno had joined Eve in picking apples off her tree. As Nelyo and Finno teased each other, he brought over the small wooden step ladder for her. He set it before the woman.

"Thanks," she said with a warm smile. Káno offered her a hand as she climbed it carefully.

He let her go. "Do not fall. Our mother would never forgive us if you did."

But she insisted she was fine. She stood atop the four-step ladder and reached for the ripest apples she could find. The others faded below her, and soon it was her and the trees, the apples, the breeze. The elven voices below her disappeared.

Suddenly a sweet voice, yet warm and gravely, sounded beneath her. The feminine voice didn't speak to her but Eve became so distracted that she tried to turn around. She tripped on the step and tumbled.

Nelyo caught her fall but tripped himself, sending them both tumbling onto the ground. Káno's face was horrified and irritated, evidently seeing her fall as proof to why she should've been more careful. Findekáno helped Eve up from the ground with a hand, leaving Nelyo to his own devices.

Though Eve thanked Finno, her eyes rested on the source of the new voice. It was a woman, or a woman like being. She stood at least ten feet, with a green dress that molded to her body perfectly, yet modestly. Golden hair spilled down her back all the way to her knees. A crown of leaves adorned her head. The woman's skin was fair and yet golden tan also from many hours tending to life under the light of Laurelin.

Eve opened her mouth and then closed it. Then she spoke a single word. "Wow." Then she paused. "Wait you were there. When I..."

"Yes," said the woman. "I am Yavanna, child."

Eve bowed, suddenly compelled by sheer awe to do so. Around her the elves stayed quiet. But Eve was too curious.

"Curiosity killed the cat," she muttered to herself. "But satisfaction brought it back." She stood tall then and faced the Vala. "Why am I here?"

Yavanna straightened up, caught by surprise. But the. She bent down and touched Eve in the shoulder. "I do not rightly know, child. Námo may know now. But Eru brought you here. Perhaps only the Creator knows why."

"Hm." Eve felt warm at the touch of Yavanna. Yet it did not sate her hunger for answers. "You must have some guess?"

Yavanna chuckled warmly, placing her hand on Eve's cheek, then raising the woman's face to look at her own. Yavanna's green gaze pierced her own sharply. There was no malice in those eyes, only warmth.

"Child, none know all the ways of Eru. Not even Námo, though wise he be. My guess is that you are here to help something great ahead, good or ill." At that, the Vala's eyes hardened. "Your coming has frightened some of my kin, and myself, rightly so. For Eru would not have brought you here thoughtlessly. But I cannot guess what your task is."