Chapter 24 - Let's Start the New Year Right

Start from the beginning

Then Annie handed over her gift. It was much smaller, and when Jess opened it, she exclaimed, "It's so pretty!" It was a delicate silver watch with a narrow leather band.

"Now you'll always be on time," Annie said, her words carrying a double meaning.

"It's perfect. Thank you, Annie," Jess said sincerely, trying to let her know how much she appreciated it.

"Jessica," Uncle Jonathon said, handing over a flat black velvet box. When she lifted the lid, she didn't know what to say. Nestled on the white satin lining was a pearl necklace. She was puzzled why he would get her such an expensive gift. And it seemed somehow not quite right for someone her age.

"Thank you," she said, trying to sound as excited as she had for the other gifts.

"Those belonged to your grandmother."

"Oh," she said, looking down at them.

"They're real, of course, and I expect you to take care of them." he said curtly, fixing her with an icy glare.

"I will, sir." It wouldn't be difficult. She didn't know when she'd ever wear a pearl necklace.

"I have homework," Doug said, shoveling in the last of his cake before jumping up.

"It was a swell dinner, Annie," Jess said, smiling happily as stacked her presents.

"I'm glad you liked it," Annie replied, her eyes glowing. Jess wanted to hug her, but with her uncle there, she decided it would be best if she didn't.

When she climbed the stairs, Doug's bedroom door was open, the light from his desk lamp spilling into the hallway. She went to her room and closed the door. After setting her new books and watch on her bed, she took the box holding the pearl necklace to her dresser. Placing it in an unused drawer, she closed it, thinking about how it would probably be years before she'd ever wear it.

Then a thought occurred to her and she knelt on the floor, opening the bottom drawer. It was filled with the things she'd saved from her previous life. Among the old toys, china figurines, and favorite picture books, she found the item she was looking for. Even though it was more of a dingy gray than white after years of being dragged around, it was still just as soft as she remembered. She ran her fingers over the yellow satin border of the knitted blanket, noticing the fine hand stitching. Were those Annie's stitches, or her Aunt Helen's?

Closing the drawer, she stood and refolded the blanket, then she left, going to Doug's room. He was sitting at his desk writing in a notebook with open books in front of him when she knocked on the door frame.

"Yeah?" he said, lifting his head.

"I wanted to show you something," she said, crossing the room. "This was the blanket your mom made for me."

"Oh?" he said almost in a whisper. She held it out to him, but he didn't take it, his brow furrowing as he looked at it.

"I - I thought you might like to have it." He opened his mouth to say something, and then closed it.

"Thanks, Jess," he said after a moment, finally taking it from her.

She thought he'd examine it, but he set it on the desk next to his open book and went back to his writing. Turning to leave, she felt disappointed by his reaction. Maybe he didn't care about his mom's blanket. It certainly hadn't seemed to mean as much to him as it did to her. When she reached the hallway, she looked over her shoulder. Doug had stopped writing and was looking at the blanket. Then he reached out hesitantly and put his hand on it, rubbing it with his fingers to feel the softness. Jess continued to her bedroom, giving him his privacy.