Chapter 4

Jack Ramsey. The last person I ever wanted to see walk into the room just did. There's always that one kid no one likes, and who knows no one likes him, but still thinks he's the shit. That's Jack Ramsey. He's a rocking douche who is convinced that women bow down to his greatness for no reason other than he feels entitled to it. The sad thing is, it's kind of worked. He worked his way through a string of girls last year, each one regretting it immediately afterwards. I don't know how he did it but I'm feeling especially glad that Iris is sitting next to me and not him.

"Sorry I'm late," he said, no apology anywhere in his voice.

"Sit down," Mr. Norman replied, "And listen to the bell from now on."

Jack slid his way along the desks, his eyes roving over the girls in the classroom. It was disgusting. The only way it could have been creepier was if he was actively licking his lips while doing it. His eyes rested on Iris and the tongue actually did come out and I felt close to vomiting. Iris was too busy pulling things out of her backpack to notice. I gave Jack the death-stare, which he returned in equal measure. We did not like each other. I know, shocker, but he had a special hatred for me. I had stopped him from trying to hook up with a girl last year and he had never forgiven me.

He slammed down into the seat at the table behind us. Oh, joy, an entire year of this.

"As I was saying," Mr. Norman continued, throwing an irritated glance at Jack, "If you'll look under your tables, you'll find your textbooks for the year..."

There was no chance to talk to Iris for the rest of class, as Mr. Norman kept a good running monologue throughout the majority of it, but that just meant there was less chance that Jack would try to break into the conversation. Mr. Norman turned out to be a pretty cool guy. It happens.

The bell rang and before I could even stand, I heard Craig say, "Jack, if you're not going to pay attention to the pretty girl next to you, I will."

I grimaced. Okay, I'll rescind something I said earlier. I can kind of see how Jack got with so many girls. He had a ton of 'charming' one-liners and the ability to make them sound sincere. He'd keep it up until the girl fell for it and after he was done with her, it was time to wipe your chin, say, "Thank you sir", and leave. And yes, that is exactly as creepy as you think it is. Welcome to Jack Ramsey.

Iris blushed a little. Well, damn, if I had just fricking complimented her in homeroom, maybe she wouldn't listen to it. "Thanks," she said, glancing at him.

"No problem," he grinned, "If people haven't been telling you that enough, I certainly will." Ugh. Cree-py.

I swung my backpack onto my shoulders with a loud thump and stalked out of the classroom. They wouldn't have time for a full conversation but he was in her brain now. I knew what he was going to do and...well, I had stopped him once before. I might just have to stop him again. I actually liked this girl, not just because she was beautiful but because she was funny and charming and seemed like a nice person. Did I know a lot about her? No. Were my reasons for wanting her away from Jack basically selfish? Yes. But...okay, I was being selfish. But Jack would be far worse and even if she didn't end up wanting to date me, I'd be fine with that. Disappointed, but fine.

I mulled about it for half an hour through my English class (something about American Literature, I don't know. I filed most of what was said in the back of my brain for later review) until the bell rang and we were dismissed to lunch. My bad luck continued there as well. My parents forgot to fill my lunch account with money so I had to pay with cash. Cash that I had been saving up for a new video game. Ugh. Great.

Whatever they say about you appreciating what you have when you buy it with your own money is a lie. Or maybe it's just that the cardboard cut-out pizza and lumpy mashed potatoes aren't as appetizing as the lunchroom staff thinks they are. Dash waved me over from one of the tables and I slid down into the seat.