Chapter Seven

The glaring sun woke Jamie up midmorning the next day. She tossed and turned all night thinking about what her mission to gain aid for the southern pack would actually be successful. She was worried about her people, but more importantly, about the dangers that they could be exposed to without her. With Jasons' mind and wolf completely focused on his mate, there was no telling what could be overlooked when it comes to the safety of all, not just his mate. Jamie needed to talk to her brother, the Alpha, about prolonging her task in order to ensure the safety of the pack. She still felt as though something sinister was coming, and it wasn't just the Eastern Pack that had her wolf on edge. There was something happening in the forests that were threatening the lives of all creatures, not just the wolves. 

Jamie crawled out of bed and went straight to the shower. Her day was going to be long and she needed a cold shower to wake her up. Jesse would want to see her today to go over the training of the warriors, and Jamie did not want to disappoint. After brushing her teeth and hair, Jamie threw on some work out clothes and went straight to the kitchen for coffee before going to speak to her brother. If she was going to spend all day organizing and preparing for a war that she was almost certain was about to happen, she needed to at least have coffee beforehand. Jesse was behind his desk when Jamie entered his office. He acknowledged her with a nod as she continued walking into the room attached to his office. This room had a twelve number keypad mechanism to unlock, no windows inside, and reinforced steel walls. The war room was used during The Great War, where battle strategies were made, and important files and maps stored for safe keeping. Jamie fulled out the map of the forest which indicated the position of all five packs on it. She stared at it for a long while, thinking about their weakest border spots and how she could potentially reinforce them. The Southern Pack was practically dead center, with the Northern, Western and Eastern Packs surrounding them and a mountain preventing any means of escape. Lake Daemonium took up almost seventy-five percent of the Western Packs' border and couldn't be crossed easily. If the Eastern Pack attacked, the best option would be to have an escape route moving towards the Western Pack. Jamie noted to ask for sanctuary as well as aid when she eventually visited the Western Pack.

"I don't know exactly what you saw, or felt, in Eastern pack territory but I'm beginning to think this is bigger than just a change in leadership Jamie," Jesse said, as he walked into the room and shut the door. Jamie looked up from the pad of paper she was writing defense strategies on stared at her brother. She looked at him and saw uncertainty for the first time. Jamie had never seen her brother this shaken before and it began to sink in how grave this situation could really be.

"Tell me what you know, Alpha," Jamie said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. 

Jesse let the disrespect go because he understood that Jamie just wanted to protect their pack just like he did. "I did some digging, sis, and we have a big problem on our hands. There has been an increased number of shipments for bear trappings being delivered to not only the Eastern Pack but the Northern Pack as well." 

"Increased traps are circumstantial. Maybe they're having trouble with the black bears in the area." Jamie reasoned. 

"Winter is around the corner and all bears are safely hibernating by now. Besides, there were shipments of explosives as well." Jesse continued.

"So we have bear trappings and explosives. That doesn't mean anything, the could be looking to break down some rocks to have more place to build and expand. Look, I'm playing devil's advocate here because I want to see every angle of this and get no surprises moving forward."

"You're right," Jesse conceded, sighing deeply and sinking into a nearby chair. "I just want you to be careful out there on patrol and in the noman's land. My wolf is on edge about this, and I have a feeling those explosives are meant for us."