Chapter 1-Recovery

"He left. Just like that. He chose a crown over me, now I am set free. When he accepted the crown, I vowed to burn the place down." Mare was talking to Farley with tear-stained cheeks. She wasn't crying anymore, having spent the past five days crying. She had no tears left to shed. 

"Then the time for crying is over. We have to carry on Mare. Just forget that idiotic prince and talk to your family, they're worried about you. It's your first time outside since he left. Find that steel string inside you and let it take over. You are the Lightning Girl. The largest and sharpest thorn in Maven's side. The symbol of hope. It's time to finish what we started Mare. Are you with me?" Farley was encouraging Mare to start getting things back to normal.  

"Yes." 

When the lightning girl looked up at all the people who had crowed around her and Farley, there was a dangerous new glint in her eyes. "Rise, red as the dawn," she said loud enough for everyone to hear. Taking out the black earring Cal had given her, she tossed it away; shedding the last memory of him.

Premier Davidson stepped forward, "Annabel and the Silvers have gone. From this point forward, we will have no contact at all with them. The dawn is coming for them all. Silvers are all the same, they promise change but it will never happen. If we lose, the world will stay the same. We have to win this." 

"Rise, Red as the Dawn." All of the people in the area chanted. 

For Mare those words were the only thing she trusted. They had never changed, never betrayed her. Those 5 words were leading her into the future with a goal, a purpose. They were also the words that started the Scarlet Guard, back in the Lakelands. Rise, red as the dawn sparked a bonfire of rebellion and it will change the world.

For Farley, those 5 words were her steel string. When her mother and sister died, she was vengeful. Those words sparked a change. Silvers drove Reds to this. They wrote their own destinies. 

Each  member of the Guard has a reason for joining. Silver's idea of a perfect world meant Reds in the gutter. Their illusion is now revealed and the world is changing. Come with the Dawn, or be left behind to die at the 'mercy' of King Maven.

"Farley," Mare pulled her into a corner away from everyone else. " I don't want to do any recruitments for a while and if he tries to make contact, I don't want to hear it."

"Ok," Farley nodded sadly.

Their steel strings were pulling them closer together, forming a close friendship.