Part 18- I Don't Like Feeling Conflicted

Start from the beginning

I mulled over her words for a moment, my brain concocting a plan like a specially brewed potion. “How about we make a deal.” Lucy looked over to me expectantly, her eyes sharp. “If I join the conversation by saying something about, I dunno, Chris and Mia, then you have to join the conversation and mention this breakup of yours at some point. Deal?”

“If you talk about your breakups as well, then we have a deal.”

I stuck my hand out to her, “Fine.” We shook hands formally.

“I’m only interested in this because I want to hear what everyone else is thinking about Chris.”

I raised my eyebrows. “Are you really?”

“Of course!” she persisted. “I want to find out more about this love triangle.”

“What?” I yelped in surprise just as the doorbell rang. Could they all be shipping Mia and Chris as well?

Lucy squinted at me slightly as she walked around me to answer the door. Once she’d paid for the pizzas, she hobbled back into the flat with the three pizzas balanced precautiously in her arms. “The love triangle?” she tried again as she made her way back to the others. “You, Chris and Mia?”

Wrong love triangle. Why can’t you all see that that love triangle doesn’t even exist?! There is nothing happening between Chris and I!

A blue wrapped sweet flew at my head as Lucy and I stepped back into the lounge. I scarcely managed to duck out of the way behind the safety of the sofa back, when what I identified as being a coconut Quality Street sweet landed with a crack on the hardwood floor where I’d previously been standing. Yelping and giggling assaulted my ears as I looked round the edge of the sofa to see Lynn, Carrie, Poppy and Mia engaging in some sort of sweets fight. Popcorn, Maltesers and Moams were flying across the room as each girl reached into those food bags and flung handfuls of the food at each other.

Lucy scurried to hide next to me, where she also crouched down. “Aw, I wanted to be the one to start a food fight,” she sulked to me as she hugged the pizza boxes to her chest.

I reached out to one of the three pizza boxes that Lucy was holding, taking the still warm box in my hands and smelling the enticing smell of melted cheese and tomatoes. It took great self-control not to rip the box open and devour its contents like a starved big cat just then. Instead, I lifted the box above my head like a shield and walked into the fray.

“Haha, it’s the white flag of surrender,” Carrie giggled as she threw an empty Jaffa Cake box at my shield.

I lifted my knee up to block the Jaffa Cake box, which fell pitifully to the floor at my block. “That wasn’t exactly what I’d been going for with a white flag, but okay,” I shrugged, waving the box around a little to illustrate my point.

The sweet-fire ceased a little at the sight of the pizza box, so I lowered my shield. I couldn’t help but smile triumphantly to Lucy as she popped up from behind the sofa.

“Can we eat now?” Lucy chirped. “I’m hungry!” Lucy’s voice was met to eager mumbles of agreement as I was practically pounced on and the pizza box ripped from my grasp. Soon enough, we were all crowded on the sweet littered floor whilst we ate our fill of the pizzas. Defrosted pizzas from the freezer are nothing compared to the fresh pizza from takeaways.

“So, what caused you all to start a sweets fight?” I asked nonchalantly as I tried to mop tomato sauce off my chin with the back of my hand.

Lynn snorted. “Mia was refusing to tell us about her old YouTube crushes from the pre-Dan period of her life.”