Part 15- I Don't Like Decision Making

I could feel the death glares of the Droids on the back of my head, drilling into my skull. The sensation made my muscles coil and tension build up round my neck and behind my ears. All of this was prompted by Lucy whilst she attempted to get different camera angles for her blog in my shared workroom.

Janice’s terms for Lucy’s vlogging went along the guidelines that she couldn’t film anything that was copyrighted, like the costumes or any audio footage from the performance itself. Or at least, none of that footage could make it into the final video, let alone that Lucy had to give rights to the Apollo Victoria Theatre and Wicked itself in some form. Although, Janice had only said this once Lucy and I had explained to her what vlogging was and why Lucy was doing it. We even used Carrie as a reference.

Currently, Lucy was using a wheely chair that she’d borrowed to propel herself across the room, whilst her camera filmed her flying past from the viewpoint of my desk atop my monologue notes. I was struggling not to laugh every time she blurred past me in my peripheral vision. Her little yelps and gleeful squeals were incredibly cute, even if the Droids completely disagreed with me.

“Hey,” Lucy whispered right in my ear, although, she was probably speaking quite loudly if I could hear her over the music from my headphones. “How much longer have you got to work for?”

“It’s twenty minutes,” one of the Droids hissed out of term, startling Lucy and I both. The blonde haired woman who’d spoken didn’t even lift her eyes from her electronic work, keeping her brow low and lips pursed. “Now would you stop asking that every ten minutes?”

“Oooh, touchy,” Lucy mumbled, visibly pissing off the blonde Droid, judging by her rigid frame. It was really difficult to concentrate on my work with my friend around, but her presence did cheer me.

Not twenty minutes later, when Lucy had silently used multiple camera angles to film herself silently dancing or miming in the workspace, the two Droids robotically packed up their small favouring of belongings and marched out the door side by side.

Lucy and I watched them go, finding ourselves more than a little startled when they both burst into a twittering chatter as they rounded the door. “Are they all like that? All the workers I mean,” Lucy asked me curiously as she went to the door to watch them walk away, here body teetering round the doorframe.

I folded the box for my paints closed, smoothing my fingers over the new cardboard. “I hope not,” I admitted, picking up the case, “but I haven’t been here long enough to tell.” I slid my chair back from my desk, pulling open the top drawer to set my paints into besides the small pots of glitter, a craft knife and other such utensils.

Lucy silently waited for me to clean up my workspace, even carrying my water pots to the sink to clean and empty them for me. It was like having my own personal assistant. Once I was done, with my bag set on my shoulder, Lucy and I started her vlog from behind the scenes.

“Hello Lights, how’ve you been?” Lucy greeted her camera as we walked down the brightly lit corridors. I’ve just spent the past few hours with in my beautiful friend Jamie,” Lucy lifted her hand to her cup her mouth as she whispered, “who just happens to be crabstickz’s new flatmate, don’t you know.”

“You’re making me sound all too special, Lucy,” I hummed as I held the door open for her, casting a shadow over Lucy’s face as she filmed herself.

Lucy snorted. “I think you’re the one selling yourself short here! Anyway, Jamie has a job behind the scenes of the theatre production of Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, which is where we are now.” Lucy finally flicked the camera to me, showing my hesitant facial expression. Lucy and I had talked about my participation in her vlog during the hours I’d spent working whilst Lucy had tried to dig herself out of boredom. I’d initially been undecided on whether I actually wanted to be known to the YouTube community, let alone if I was comfortable with being introduced as being Chris’ flatmate, and being accused of being Chris’ girlfriend. Being friends with YouTubers didn’t give me much choice in the matter, really, and so Lucy had finally managed to convince me to show my face in the video five minutes ago.