Chapter 18: Horse Racing

Depuis le début

"Alright, who is coming with me to get food?" Findekáno asked them as Moryo, Findo, and Amarië climbed up into the seats. "Anyone?"

"Me!" Eve raised her hand.

Elenwë and Nelyo decided to join them. They left by a closer entrance. It popped right out into the makeshift food market. Eve walked alongside Findekáno, with Elenwë and Nelyo having dropped back, whispering between themselves and smirking like the mischief makers they were.

"What kind of food is there?" Eve looked around and saw many fruit stalls. They passed a dessert shop and a baker's tent. Then Eve stopped with a pause. "Wait a second."

Findekáno, a few steps ahead of her turned and cocked his head in confusion. "What?"

"That smell..." She closed her eyes, allowed the crowds to pass her by. "That sound!" Her eyes flashed open and she turned to the right, hurrying forward.

Nelyo, Finno, and Elenwë hurried behind her. When they caught up she stood before a small stand. She couldn't believe her eyes.

"Popcorn!" Eve nearly shrieked in excitement. "Oh my God you guys have popcorn!"

Nelyo burst out laughing, and Findekáno soon joined him. Elenwë grinned wide and handed a few copper coins to the merchant in exchange for a large bag of popcorn. She turned and handed it to Eve. "Popcorn seems not unfitting for a name. We call it popped corn."

Eve stuffed a piece into her mouth and nearly started crying. "Guys, you have popcorn." She thrust it forward to show them. "Popcorn!"

"You keep saying that word," Findekáno reminded her. "It is obvious that you have seen such food."

"I love popcorn." She held the bag of popcorn close to her chest with a devious expression. "No one gets my popcorn."

They spent another half hour picking out food for themselves and their cousins. Nelyo bought himself a bottle of wine to share with his brothers, but other than that it turned out to be mostly fruits and pastries. Once all had something, the four companions turned back to the track and found their seats. By the time they reached Káno, Moryo, Turvo, Findo, and Amarië, the place looked packed.

Eve settled in between Elenwë and Nelyafinwë. She could just see over Findekáno below her. The horse riders walked along the track and Eve did her best to find Tyelko.

"Tyelko is riding his white mare, Aranyë. There." Nelyo pointed out his brother, blonde hair and brown and red outfit shining. "The other favorite is Prince Ingil, King Ingwë of the Vanyar's son." This time he pointed to an elf whose golden hair went only to his shoulders. He wore gold and blue riding gear. "He's beaten Tyelko twice out of six years."

"I wish him only the worst," Eve said, narrowed her eyes and settling into her seat in the bench with her popcorn.

Nelyo looked at her in surprise and gave a short laugh. "Competitive?"

"Just a bit."

The other redhead chuckled and grabbed the wine from Moryo beside him. A moment later saw the elven horse riders lining up. Tyelko took the innermost spot. Between him and Ingil rode a small, silver haired Telerin rider upon a white horse. A few Noldor and Vanyar filled the other spots. Suddenly on the track, a woman in a pink flowing dress grew in stature until she stood at least twenty feet high. She waved to everyone.

"Who's that?" Eve asked Nelyo.

"Lady Nessa. She and her brother Lord Oromë organize the races." He spoke quietly. "They are Valar."

Eve nodded.

"Welcome to the races!" Nessa smiled wide and her hair flowed in the wind. "It is with great pleasure that myself and my brother judge these games. Enjoy yourselves at the Festival of Yavannië, and may the Games begin." She shrunk down again and joined a tan skinned man dressed in furs and leathers. A bolt of fire flew into the air and it exploded high above the race track.