While he had been talking I had assessed the situation, He was slightly wounded, mother was nowhere near and Lore was still unconscious or dead. My training kicked in, rather ironic that the man that who wanted to kill me had been the one to train me.

I crouched slightly, readying myself to launch at him. Instead I popped behind him and hit him over the head with the idea to knock him out. He cursed and I realised this had not worked.

“Bitch!” He screamed at me, rage filled his eyes transforming him from the friendly and easy going man I had known. He brought his sword down and knocked my short sword from my hand. Once my sword landed on the ground, Bragg also through his down. I thought he was giving up until I saw his fist coming up to connect with my face. I could not stop him in time as his fist slammed into my face my vision blurred slightly.

I recovered and began my attack, kicking and landing blows to his body. His hand reached up and gripped my hair; he pulled me up to his height face level by my braid. The pain was excruciating as he pulled me higher by my hair. I clenched my fists and threw punch after punch landing them on his face. Nothing made him lose his grip. He slapped my face whipping my head to face his arm and I bit him. I bit his arm until I broke the skin causing him to scream and release his grip on me. I spat out his flesh, blood filled my mouth which I spat out also.

I reached to pull free my throwing daggers only to see Kale running to me, drawing his sword out of its holder. I ran him quickly and he pulled me into an embrace. “I am here my love. Your mother is outside, please go to her. I will be with you again as soon as I can.” I nodded and moved to where Lore was laid; as I approached I could see his chest moving. I laid my hand on him and popped us both outside to where my mother was waiting.

Kale POV

I shook my head groggily, something had knocked me out when I reached the bottom of the stairs. Arms surrounded me and helped me up. I turned to face Lady Reinhart, she was unmistakable. Clarissa looked so like her it was unbelievable apart from the hair colour difference. She had the ame pixie ears and sticking blue eyes.

I bowed slightly “Lady Reinhart. I am Kale. Kale of Ridgewood I am so very happy you are safe.”

“I know who you are Sir. Introductions and jubilations can be done later. Right now my daughter needs you. That traitor Bragg needs to be stopped. You must hurry please; Clarissa is with him in the hall near the entrance.”

“Bragg, no you must be confused… Bragg is one of my closet friends and I trust him. He is….”

“He is son of Anna-Maria Vitor, she was engaged to marry my husband but due to her affair with your fathers stable man he refused her. He met me some months later, and within a year we married. Bragg believes himself to be cheated out of a title. But the rest of this story can wait, we must hurry.”

My mind swam with visions of Bragg and me as children, play fighting and talking of girls as we got older… What had happened to my friend? As we rounded the corner I could hear Bragg screaming, I saw Clarissa spit blood from her mouth and looked to Bragg who had pain across his face.

As Clarissa readied to throw her daggers she saw me as I ran to her. “I am here my love. Your mother is outside, please go to her. I will be with you again as soon as I can.”

“Bragg what is the meaning of this?”

“My fight is not with you Kale. Leave the women with me to finish with them and we can then forget this happened”

I thought he had gone mad. Talk of killing Clarissa and her mother… then us resuming our lives. “No Bragg this will not happen. I would rather die than leave them to you.”