Chapter 6

Clarissa POV

Training was very hard. Much more harder than I thought it would be. Bragg and I had been in the hall since just after sunrise and it was now close to midday. My body ached more than I thought possible, even with my heightened abilities he was still ahead of me each time.

Each strike I made with the baton he managed to block. My mental wall was up so I knew I was not projecting to him. ‘Maybe he can read me?’ I tested this, thinking one thing and doing another, before I knew what was happening I was running rings around him, landing blows when he was not expecting them.

“Well, I can certainly say you are a fast learner. Most people I train take a few days to realise I have the ability to foresee your actions. How did you manage to block me?” Bragg’s question seemed genuine; there was no bravado of a man who had been beaten by a girl.

“I just acted differently to what I thought. I had assumed you could read my thoughts so I did the opposite.” I shrugged not thinking much of it.

“Yes but even Kale struggles to block me. You truly are magnificent, I do not mean to step out of line when I say this but I can see why Kale is drawn to you, other than his love. You have a positive aura that makes me trust you with my life though I am stronger and more experience fighter. You are a born leader.” He bowed slightly to me.

“Oh no, please do not bow. I do not want to be a leader, I just want to find my mother and bring her home.”

***LATER***

After a long shower and lunch Gregor called me to the library. I looked around for Kale to find him absent, I missed him. This was the longest time we had been apart.

“How was training with Bragg?”

“Very good, I must admit that I am going to ache very much tomorrow. Thank you by the way, I know Kale was against me training and I am glad that you did not give in to him.” I sat in one of the chairs so I was facing Gregor. It was strange, after everything that had happened I realised I held no bad feelings. My outburst to Kale seemed to have cleared the air.

“I thought we could work on training you to handle the elements. I can see you manage the fire element well, we will work on this more but today, I think we should go out into the grounds.” I looked to him, realising that for me he would be going outside in daylight. I said nothing, not wanting him to know he had been discussed by Kale and I.

We walked in silence to a small side garden, the majority of it was in the shade, for that I was grateful as I did not want him to change his mind.

“We will work on wind this afternoon, controlling the air to do as you wish. Here let me show you.” I watched as he held his arms up from his side, eyes open and full of concentration. As breeze picked up, I watched as he created a strong wind which lifted him from the ground. My mouth dropped open, it was an extraordinary sight.

Once he has settled back to the ground, arms down the wind stopped. “Now, I want you think about something happy, think of wind. It really is as simple as that.”

I lifted my arms as he had done. ‘Happy thoughts? Kale. The way he makes me feel safe and loved all the time’ I watched as I lifted from the ground the same way that Gregor had done. I began to laugh, felling elated at conquering this. Gregor looked at me with pride in his eyes. I stopped the wind and fell to the floor, landing hard on my leg. I heard and felt the bone snap.

“Argh! I think it is broken, what do I do?” The pain was the worse I had felt, tears ran freely down my face and I was close to vomiting. I felt myself becoming faint and each time I let the blackness claim me the pain pulled me back.

“Hush Clarissa.” Gregor stooped down to my level, taking assessment of the damage. I felt his hands on my leg and felt a pull but no pain. I looked down and saw the bone that had jutted out only a few seconds ago retreat back into place. The skin that was pierced began to heal over the area numb. “You’re a healer?” Wonder filled my voice.

“Yes, now lay still a bit longer. The healing has not finished yet.”

“Clarissa!” Kale was at my side. “I knew you should not have been training. What are you doing outside? Where is Bragg, I will have words with him leaving you!”

“Kale” Gregor spoke, “This was not Braggs doing. I was teaching Clarissa how to control her elements.”

“I stopped my wind element before I was level with the ground and landed awkwardly. Gregor is healing me, so I will be up and running in no time.” I smiled through my discomfort.

A few minutes later I was in Kales arms as he carried my upstairs, Avla was walking from my room when we reached the landing. “I have drawn a bath my Lord”

My leg still throbbed, Gregor could only do so much as it is draining on him so it would be sore for a while longer. Kale helped me undress and get into the bath. I looked at my leg and saw the blood crusting, only a faint line remained on my leg to remind me the bone had come through.

After soaking for a short while I walked into my room and gasped. Candles covered every surface, flames flickering casting a warming glow to the room. Next to the bed Kale stood looking at me.

“Bragg told me how well you did today. I thought your muscles could do with some TLC” He smiled to me showing a selection of muscle oils, I selected the Jasmine oil.

Kale approached and tugged my towel loose, letting it drop to the floor. He lifted me and took me to the bed, I rolled to my front as he began to rub the oil into my aching muscles. Moans escaped my mouth from both slight pains from my knotted muscles, plus pleasure. Everywhere he touched caused a reaction in me.  

I drifted off to sleep feeling relaxed and contented.

“Clarissa, my daughter” I heard her voice before I saw her, floating toward me. She looked the same with a smile on her lips. “I am so proud of you.”

“Please tell me who has you? I am going to find you and bring you home.”

“Your father had me locked away after you were born, I believe his brother now holds me but I have not seen a familiar face for quite some time now. I will leave you now, I am not as strong as I once was and mind link is draining. I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you and to tell you I love you.”

“I love you also.”

I awoke with tears damp on my face. Next to me Kale slept, he looked so peaceful I did not want to wake him. I curled myself next to him to and let sleep claim me again.

Kale POV

Clarissa told me of her ‘meeting’ with her mother, so it seems her Uncle may still have Clarissa’s mother. I passed this onto father as he has connections. Hopefully he could find something that could help us in our search.

I walked through the open door of the hall to see Clarissa and Bragg training. Clarissa looked like a warrior. Her hair in a long braid down her back, forked daggers in both hands as she and Brag sparred. She moved as if she was born to fight, which I suppose she was.

I stood watching a few more minutes to see her execute a roundhouse kick that sent Bragg flying across the hall.  ‘Mmm, increased strength as well. My girl is exceptional’ I laughed loudly as Bragg stood up, shock on his face.

“Bragg my friend. I think you just got your arse handed to you by Clarissa” I chuckled again as he nodded in response.

“I believe you are correct. Clarissa you truly are something.” A grin spread across his face. “I think I have had enough humiliation for today. Same time tomorrow?” he asked her.

“Definitely Bragg, and again thank you for taking it easy on me.” She bowed slightly to him and turned to me. “I am going to freshen up before lunch. I will be down shortly.” She placed a kiss on my cheek as she left the hall. I saw her jog up the stairs. Her bottom moving seductively which each step. God she was killing me!