Chapter 7

Clarissa POV

‘Tonight is the night… Oh god! I can still change my mind, I mean I do want to be with him. It’s just, God!’ I stalked around my room unable to calm myself. I had decided that I would sleep with Kale. I needed to clear my head so I threw on a pair of shorts and tee-shirt, left my hair braided down my back and left my room.

I walked along the corridor and through the double doors leading to the garden. I turned to face the sun, enjoying the sensation of heat on my skin. I set off on a slow jog around the lake, taking time to notice the gardens inhabitants. A robin hopped along the path a sign that winter is nearly here. The Swans on the lake looked almost regal, I watched as one spread its wings, flapped and ran for take off. It was all so magical.

I turned into the surrounding trees and picked up my pace. I enjoyed the burn of my muscles, but it was telling me I was pushing myself maybe a bit too far. I bent at the knees and stopped to catch my breath. I stretched back up and looked around.

‘Huh, must have run farther than I thought.’ I turned to jog back to the house, back to my night with Kale. A smile lit my face when I thought of him. My earlier worries vanished. I started to jog slowly back the direction I came, only after a few minutes I realised that this was not the way I came. In fact, as I turned in circles, eyes wide with worry I realised I had no idea where I was.

The sky was darker and the trees bare of leaves, the area looked almost barren. I began to worry, how had I gotten here? I tried to transport myself back to the house. I thought of the lake and closed my eyes, when I opened them again I sighed. “What is going on? Where the heck am I?” I had not moved. I was still in the same place.

A rustling to my left caused me to turn. I saw a figure walking out the trees. I was shocked, almost numb. It took every once of will power I had to not scream. My knees started to buckle as I tried to turn to run, my foot caught in an upended root. I sprawled out on my front, as I pushed on my arms to get up I felt a foot on my back applying pressure. “Hello Clarissa” I was roughly pushed over onto my back with the tip of his boot. “I must say, since your change you are even more delectable my dear”

I tried to summon the elements, anything to get me out of this situation. I found nothing was happening he must have seen the confusion on my face as he laughed at me. “Not so powerful now are you” As he said this he pulled me up by the top of tee-shirt. “If only you had not rejected me, this would have been much easier” At this point I was forced to look into the eyes of Kalis. I could not help it, I blacked out.

When I awoke, I was in a small bed in a room I did not know. I ran to the window and looked out. I could not see much as the window would not open. ‘Humph! Of course! I just stopped being a prisoner and once again I am locked up’ I did not want Kalis to know I was up yet so I crept to the door and tested the handle. Luck was truly on my side as it was not locked. I slipped out the door and found myself standing in a lounge room, a very bare lounge room. One chair by the window and a loveseat next to the open fireplace, nothing I could use to help me.

I walked silently along the end of the room, I could hear Kalis talking with someone through a partly opened door. “Yes I know you wanted me to bring her straight to you. I am sorry that I have not completed this yet. Gregor will be looking for the girl so I wanted to wait a few days before we began the journey.” ‘Weird’ I thought to myself ‘Who is he talking to?’ I could hear no response to his statement.

I slipped into another room and noted an array of weapons lay on the bed; my mind began to wander wondering why Kalis might need all these. I stopped myself short when I noticed he was no longer talking. I dashed to the bed and picked up a dagger. I stood flush against the wall waiting for my moment. “Where is SHE!?” Kalis shouted, I heard maybe 3 or 4 sets of feet running “You will search every inch of the surrounding property and bring her back to me! Go!” His voice bellowed.