07. Blush

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT CRAZY SON OF A BITCH?"

Nia's eyes widened at her brother's words and she glanced up at Myles who was sitting opposite her on the bed, slurping down noodles. His body seemed to stiffen, but other than that, he didn't give any indication of being offended by what Akin said.

"The phone's on speaker," she said slowly, digging her fork into the bowl of pasta on her lap, without eating any. She silently hoped Akin wouldn't make any rude remarks again.

"So what do you want me to say? 'Hey, Myles. I am a huge fan of your work! Definitely gonna overlook all the shitty things you did.' Well, guess what? That's not happening."

Nia massaged her forehead with two fingers and placed the bowl on the bed, picking up the phone and turning the speaker icon off. She mouthed a Sorry to Myles who made a feeble attempt at a smile. She pushed herself off the bed and stood up; she'd known Akin wouldn't be happy about this, that was why she hadn't told anyone but her makeup crew about her reunion with Myles.

But when Akin called her via Skype—as Myles joined her for lunch in her room—he had seemed so excited about talking to Akin, she couldn't help but hope her brother would react the same way.

Clearly, she was wrong.

"We sorted things out, Akin. You don't have to be so rude," she said, walking out into the small corridor of her room that led to the door. "Also, I was the one that suggested he make things right with his mother. And I was the one that agreed to travel to Lisbon with him. You don't have to blame him for everything."

She turned around and saw Myles' eyes fixed on her. When he realised that she'd caught him looking her way, he blinked and turned his attention back to the bowl on his lap, absentmindedly digging into it.

"Are you kidding me, Nia?" Akin said, his voice distorted. "I don't give a fuck about him and neither should you. Don't you remember how devastated you were when he left? He is the most selfish jerk in the whole world and I can't see how you forgave him so easily."

Nia sighed, but continued to pace back and forth. "I needed closure, Akin. And you know it. I've waited for this day to come, for God knows how long. A day where Myles and I were friends again. And if I got a chance to make that happen, isn't it obvious that I'd take it?"

Akin grunted. "Not so obvious to me."

"Akin—"

"You know what?" he interrupted her. "Forget it. There's no point talking some sense into you. Just because you're older than me, you think you know everything. Guess what? You don't."