Chapter 8

I woke up to someone gently shaking me by my shoulders. For some reason, I felt really drowsy, so all I did was groan and turn onto my side.

I heard a few people sigh in what seemed like relief, then some shuffling around. Suddenly, I gasped as cold water was splashed onto my face.

I quickly sat up with my eyes wide as I looked around the room I was in. I noticed that we were still in Hanji's lab and that I was on a small table that had a white, silky blanket and pillow on top of it.

I looked over to my right and saw Hanji leaning on the wall next to the table I was on, her glasses had an evil glint in them, yet I couldn't make out her expression.

I looked over to my left to see Levi staring down at me with his usual stoic look. I stared down at his hands to see a small, empty bucket. I guessed that he was the one who had splashed water on my face from before.

"You okay, brat?" Levi said in a monotone voice, like always. Though I swear I could see a different emotion in his eyes... Was it worry? Relief? Or was I just imagining it?

I just silently nodded in reply, nervous about what they were going to say. I looked down at my lap as I played with my fingers, trying not to tear up.

After a moment of silence, I heard some shuffling and I felt a weight on my shoulder. I looked up to see Hanji staring back at me, slightly smiling with her hand on my shoulder.

"If you think you're in trouble, don't worry too much. I hadn't finished that potion yet, so you're lucky!" She laughed a bit, trying to ease the tension and calm me down.

I grinned back, feeling a bit better that I didn't cause too much harm. "Although, I am curious as to why you were in my lab..." Hanji trailed off slightly, making me nervous again.

I was once again scared to answer her and went back to looking down and started twiddling my fingers again.

"I, uhm, I-I was just c-curious..." I replied quietly, knowing that I shouldn't have gone into her lab and that I was probably about to get scolded.

Without any warning, I heard Hanji burst out laughing. I was shocked, not expecting her to react that way.

"You don't have to be so nervous! I really don't mind, I could take you to see Sonny and Bean if you were interested!" She said excitedly, that was, until Levi interfered.

"You're not taking the brat to see those things," He said in a disgusted voice, "You do remember titans killed her parents?" He added, with a slight warning tone as if to say, 'Say one more thing and you're dead.'

I felt my eyes widen a little, memories of that day coming to my mind. My body started shaking as I remembered running away from all those titans... Everything that happened with my parents... When-

"Brat?" I heard a voice saying, snapping me out of my thoughts. I moved my head so that I was staring up at the source of the voice. A pair of cold, piercing eyes stared back at me.

"Are you okay?" Levi asked, seemingly a bit worried.

As I nodded back slowly, my eyes wondered around the room, noticing that Hanji was nowhere in sight. I looked at Levi with curiosity in my eyes.

"W-Where did Hanji g-go?" I shakily asked him, memories still replaying in my head.

"She left." He bluntly replied, still staring at me. All I did was nod, knowing not to push him on the question.

We stayed in silence for a couple more minutes, neither of us knowing what to say. Starting to feel uncomfortable, I decided to sit up and make my way off the table I was on.

Suddenly, a force pushed me back to laying down. It wasn't an overly hard force, just enough to push me down without hurting me.

"You shouldn't move yet, just rest." Is all I heard Levi say before he walked over to the door and quietly left the room.

I just froze there, not quite sure what had just happened.

'Does he actually care about me?' I thought to myself.

'It was probably just pity...' My mind fought back.

'But he's been kind of nice to me for a while...' It went on, back and forth for a few moments, until I dozed off into a slightly enjoyable slumber.