The Discovery and the Cheap Shot

Start from the beginning

Grabbing a pair of running shorts, a tee-shirt, and a sports bra, I walked to the bathroom to change. I quickly slipped everything on. I did my best of running a brush through my hair, but bed head was the hardest to tame. I put it in a very wavy, messed up pony tail, before picking my pajamas up to put under my pillow to wear for when I go to bed tonight.

When I slipped back in the room trying to make as little noise as possible, I found Miles still to be passed out on his bed. He didn't look like he was moving anytime soon. I was curious how long he would stay asleep. My bet is that I'll have to wake him up in time for lunch.

Lacing up my running shoes, I put my key in to the small pocket that is sewn on the inside of my shorts and tiptoed out the door.

Making it all the way down without a hitch, I stretched out the muscles in my legs to ready them for a bit of physical activity. Since it was morning, the temperature was slightly cooler than usual and the humidity was not on full blast just yet. There was also a small breeze blowing in to help. I didn't know the way around the campus at all because we've stayed only in the sports complex the entire time we've been here. Might as well learn my way around a bit and see what's here.

I started out of the parking lot and turned right down the street parallel to it. Shrubs and flower beds lined the street as I ran along. My legs were tight, but slowly they loosened up and made it easier to run. Steadying my breaths, I stretched my stride out.

Running was a bit of outlet for me anyway. I could do it by myself and go at my own pace. There was room to think and enjoy my own company. As you can see all the outlets I've ever mentioned are usually isolated ones. Reading is something you do by yourself, and running is likewise. Being a loner for the Fat Years, just pushed me to do more activities that didn't require anyone else. The worst part was I decided I didn't want to play on a baseball team for about a year and half after Dad died. I lost my motivation to try. Sure I would hit off the tee and throw a ball at the wall for hours on end, but being with other people didn't interest me. I wanted to be as far away from others as possible.

When Mom finally got out of her small lapse of depression she pushed me back in to being on a team. I refused to even think about it, but she made it clear that I couldn't mop around anymore. It took a while for us to find a travel team that would let me come try out. It only made me more discouraged, but Mom pushed through until she found Coach Brent.

He was a younger coach that was open to the idea. He was coaching a 14u team at the time. I was really worried about trying out because I had just recently lost all the weight. My size was still a worry for me. The tryout was nerve-racking to say the least. There was 13 players on the team already, and they seemed a little wary with the idea of a girl. The tryout went pretty well, and I was offered a spot. My mom was ecstatic. It was the bit of the comeback I needed. My new teammates soon became like my brothers. We moved through 15u, 16u, 17u, and now 18u together. Any outside viewer watching our practice would think we all hated each other because of all the name calling and insults that flew around. That however, was our way to show our affection. Everyone on the team was in 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. I was going to be one of the oldest next year. It was going to be my last year with them this upcoming year. I'm going to miss them a lot when I go off to college.

I refocused on my run after I made another turn on a similar street. I was probably just going to make a large circle before going back.

The street I turned on looked to be a main street on the campus. Several buildings lined the road on either side. A huge library came up on my left, and a lecture hall was on my right. Beds of flowers were planted around the outside. The grass was trimmed and green. A summer yard crew must work when school is out.