Chapter Twelve

Today is the end of the world as we know it and I don’t feel fine. Sorry REM, but I feel everything that isn’t fine. I hurt all over, mentally and physically. My body feels like it was thrown around and while that happened; the man in white was tossed like a salad inside a room that is now empty. If the world really does end then all of this could end and if there’s an afterlife, I hope it’s good.

            I grabbed clothes and scurried into the bathroom. It wasn’t worth my time to look in the mirror to find out if I really recognized the girl who stared back at me. The shower I took was warm and quick. When I was done, I did just as any other person should and then made my way back to my bedroom.

            5:30 is what the clock says. I can hear my mom leaving her room and opening up the fridge. Rose’s door is still closed.

            “Lathlynn!” My mom summons me, almost too loudly for early morning.

            I didn’t want to see my mom, but I did want to ask why Rose was upset. Hopefully it’s nothing horrendous like her being bullied or Mom hitting her or-

            “Yes Mom?” She was staring into the fridge through those brown eyes she gave me as if everything inside of it looked unappetizing. I thought only teenagers did this.

            “So, why are you getting home later?” Funny, I didn’t think she cared.

            “Why was Rose mad at you?”

            “Answer my question.”

            “Answer mine first.” She closed the fridge door and looked at me with that look that said it was much too early for this, or that face that said she was going to fall asleep any second now… It’s hard to tell.

            “It’s not your business dear. What are you doing after school?”

            “My little sister isn’t my business?” I wanted to yell this but refused to wake Rose. I was doing well so far, also, at not answering her question. Go me!

            “She is, but Lathlynn, you’re missing the point.”

            “The point of what?”

            “Why I’m talking to you.” She reopened the fridge and pulled out orange juice.

            “And why’s that?” The leafy green people may not be with me, but the sass is. And, boy is the sass strong.

            “I’m your mother and as your mother I need to know what you’re doing after school.” I wanted to laugh at that.

            “Well, well, well, why didn’t you ask yesterday?” She had poured too much orange juice into her cup and it left a puddle on the counter. Her hand reached for a paper towel.

            “Well, you see, yesterday Mommy was busy…” I’m not a little kid, I thought. “And so I was unable to.”

            A million and ten rude remarks ran through my head, all great come backs, but it was dumb throwing a match in a fire that was already ablaze. “Friends. We’re going to get pizza.

            “Now, why’s Rose upset?” Mom tossed the dirty paper towel in the trash and then took a sip of her OJ.

            “Okay. Well, Rose wanted to see your dad.” I’m going to see dad. “She says he needs to attend some father-daughter dance that her P.E. teacher told them about.” He does. “I think it’d be better if Eric went,” but it wouldn’t. “She doesn’t think so, so she’s upset.” I’d be upset too.