Ch. 21: Isobel

Alaric called me and Damon, and he walked in before me. Well, walked into Alaric's classroom with him, Stefan and Elena.

"Damon, thanks for coming," Alaric said.

"Sorry I'm late," I said as I walked in. "My dog ate my . . . Never mind."

I smiled, shrugging, but got not response, Damon looking at Stefan and Elena as he asked, "What's with all the furrowed brows?"

"I saw Isobel last night," Alaric answered.

"Isobel is here?" I asked. "In town?"

Alaric nodded, and Damon looked at  Elena.

*

"Did you ask her about Uncle John?" I asked. "Are they working together?"

"No," Alaric answered.

"No, they're not?" I asked.

"No, I didn't ask," Alaric said.

"What about the invention?" Damon asked.

"Didn't ask," Alaric answered.

"Did she know about the tomb vampires?" I asked.

"I don't know," Alaric said.

"Did words completely escape you?" Damon demamded.

"No, I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions," Alaric replied.

"What did she want?" I asked.

"She wants to see me, Kaylin," Alex answered.

Damon and I looked toward her as Stefan said, "Alaric is supposed to arrange a meeting. We don't know why or what she wants."

"You don't have to see her if you don't want to," Damon told  Elena.

"I don't really have a choice," Elena said.

"She's threatened to go on a killing spree," Alaric explained.

"Oh," I said. "I take it that's not okay with you guys."

I sighed when my attempt to lighten the mood flopped.

"I want to do it," Elena said. "I want to meet her. If I don't, I know I'll  regret it."

Great.

*

The last time Bonnie, Stefan, Damon,  and Elena and I were together? The tomb, and the spell backfired, letting all the vampires out and killing Bonnie's grandmother. 

Because we had to save Jeremy, and Elena had an idea about how to deactivate the vampire-killing device in exchange for his life.

"Absolutely not," Damon told us.

"Just hear us out," Elena said.

"I'm not gonna give the device to Isobel so she could give it to John, who is going to turn it to kill me. I like being a livong dead person."

"But it'll be useless," Elena said. She gestured to her best friend. "Bonnie can take its power away."

"I don't trust her," Damon said.

"I can remove the original spell," Bonnie said.

"John and Isobel will never know," Elena said.

"No, I'll get Jeremy out my own way," Damon said.