ch. 6: Lost Girls

(outfits in link) 

~~~~1864~~~~

I watched as my brother Stefan went to greet our visitor as the horse drawn carriage was steadily coming our way to our home on Miller Lane.

Stefan's suit was beige, he had a blue bow tie, his hair groomed back neatly while my long blonde hair were in soft, tiny riglets.

Our brother Damon was off defending the South during the Civil War, and I worried about him deeply--yes, our father kept slaves. Stefan didn't like it at all, and I felt sorrow and pity for the mistreated people, no matter their skin color. Damon didn't have an opinion on it. Or . . . At least he didn't show it.

I was glad our father treated the slaves as if they were equals.

The man escorting the women in the carriage stepped off, placing a hand-made step on the ground for the women in inside, opening the door

He held out his hand to the hand-maid inside, letting her step out with his aid.

At least she was dressed well, treated well.

She then turned back to the carriage, lending her hand to the other girl, who was dressed more noticeably, she too stepping out.

Her head raised, her eyes scurrying over my brother, olive skin, brown eyes, and long, brunette curls in soft riglets.

As he stepped down our steps, I stepped out onto the porch.

Stefan bowed his head to the newcomer. "You must be Miss Pierce."

"Please," Miss Pierce said, holding out her hand for him to take. He had, she curtsied. "Call me Katherine."

~~~~Now~~~~

(previously)

I rose, turning too, and by the time I was coming out, Stefan threw me a stake, both of us running down the hall, up the stairs, down the other hall, to the door.

I wrenched it open.

And Elena turned toward us.

"What are you?"

Elena, who looked exactly like Katherine with the same long, brown hair, brunnette eyes, olive skin, even though she wasn't a vampire and Katherine had burned inside Fell's Church.

When neither of us answered her demand, she repeated more forcibly, "What are you?"

I didn't speak a word, a long hesitation before Stefan had. "You know."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do, or you wouldn't be here."

Elena shook her head. "It's not possible. It can't be."

Putting down the stake in my hand, stepping forward, Elena stepped back.

"Everything you know . . . " I trailed off. " . . . and every belief that you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?"

She swallowed her fear. "What are you?"

I looked slowly over to Stefan, not knowing if I should tell her even though she obviously knew.

Stefan was just staring blankly at Elena, waiting for a reaction.

I looked back to Elena. "We're vampires."