Just a few split seconds later, Tobias seemed to snap back into reality, and his mouth dropped. There was a blank look in his eyes, on his face; one that Tris couldn’t decipher the meaning of. But then Tobias was smiling, and he said, “You’re beautiful.”

“Already said that, buddy,” Uriah said, looking to them both and smirking at the look Tobias threw him.

“You know, you may be the chief, Uri, but that doesn’t make me want to punch you any less.”

The smirk left Uriah’s face and he backed away, a look of pure fear moving onto his features. “Not the face!”

“It’s not like he would damage anything, Uriah,” Christina said. “There is not one inch of attractiveness.”

Uriah scoffed, holding a hand to his heart as if the insult hurt, and moved back into the back of the house, shouting a, “Have fun on the date!” to Tobias and Tris.

“Speaking of that,” the voice of her soulmate got her attention once again and Tobias held out the flowers, “these are for you.”

“Thank you,” Tris said, smiling as she grabbed the flowers. “Who told you white lilies were my favorite?”

“That would be me,” Christina said, winking to Tobias. It didn’t sit well with Tris. “Your boyfriend did a little chatting with outside sources to plan this.”

“You mean, you guys knew where I was going?”

“How else would we be able to plan your outfit?” Marlene leaned against the wall, “Now, you better get going. Your reservations are in forty-five minutes.”

+++

“We’re eating here?”

The high-class building with the name Boka strung across the top was in Tris’s view through the front window of Tobias’s truck. She had never, not once in her life, ate at the restaurant before, because of what she knew the prices were. She didn’t ever have the money to go sit down, but. . .

“You do know it’s super expensive here, right?”

“You do know I’m a police officer who is good at his job and on good terms with his boss, right?”

“I didn’t bring any money--”

“I’m taking you out,” Tobias said. “You are my beautiful soulmate who I am treating to a nice dinner date.” Reaching out, Tobias grabbed her hand and Tris accepted it, letting his fingers entangle with her own. He rubbed his thumb over her first finger, and it instantly calmed her, and all the nerves she had for the night. It was that when she remembered what her friends had said earlier in the day.

“You hold hands all the time, Tris. Even when you two don’t know it.”

“Plus, soulmates get free cake when they’re there together. I hear it’s Dauntless cake.”

Ooh,” Tris said, turning her head to raise an eyebrow at Tobias. “Is that why you bought us here? Because of the cake?”

“Oh, of course.” Tobias squeezed her hand before letting go and opening his car door.

Right as Tris reached to open her own door, he was there and opening it, sticking his hand out. He placed his hand on her lower back, leading her across the small parking lot to the doors of the restaurant. He opened the door, holding it for Tris to walk in before following her inside. They both stopped by the front desk, where a boy with vicious green eyes stood.

“My name is Peter, how can I help you tonight?”

“Reservations for Eaton, please.”

The man continued to look through the papers on the desk, checking through them a second time, and shaking his head as he looked up to Tobias. “There is no reservations for that name, sir.”