Chapter Two

"Are we there yet?" Owlglass grumbled, trudging through the grass. "It's getting dark soon. Where will we sleep? There's no shelter in sight, other than those trees."

"Owlglass?" Dapplestep mewed, trying not to laugh.

"What?" Owlglass flicked his tail impatiently.

"Look down." The dappled she-cat mewed, smiling.

"Why--oh." Owlglass meowed embarrassedly, finally noticing the hole two tail lengths in front of him.

"There's our shelter. Let's just hope it's big enough for us and that there's not a snake living there, waiting to bite us." Dapplestep chuckled, then looked back at the two cats, their jaws stuffed with prey. "How're you guys holding up?"

Dropping her load of prey, Shellwhisper took a large breath. "Why don't you guys take half of our loads each?"

"Fiiine." Dapplestep sighed, walking back to Reedscale and Shellwhisper, with Owlglass behind her.

Sighing with relief, Shellwhisper picked up the remaining three pieces of prey in her jaws.

"Are we there yet?" Owlglass meowed in a muffled voice.

"NO! Stop asking!" Reedscale finally snapped, also muffled.

As the sun gently touched the horizon, the four cats slipped into the hole one by one. Thankfully, nothing was in the den to attack them. It was just little hole big enough to fit almost three foxes.

"Perfect!" Shellwhisper mumbled to herself, setting down the prey she had in the back of the den, with the other three doing the same.

"It's going to be uncomfortable, but this is where we're sleeping for the night. If one cat gets up before sunrise, wait until sunrise and then wake up the other cats." Reedscale meowed, turning in a circle to lay down.

"We should get to sleep now, so we wake up early and ready to keep moving." Dapplestep flicked her tail, looking for a good spot.

"Eat first! Eat first!" Owlglass yowled.

"Fine, we'll eat. Calm down, Owlglass." Shellwhisper sighed, getting up to get some food.

"I call the trout!" Dapplestep pounced at the trout, which was laying away from the rest of the pile.

"Fine. I wanted the hedgehog anyway." Shellwhisper meowed saltily, grabbing the hedgehog and going back to her spot and beginning to devour the small creature.

"You eat fast." Dapplestep laughed, taking a bite out of the trout her best friend had caught.

"Thanks." Shellwhisper grinned, licking her lips and setting her head down. "I'm tired. G'night."

The rest of the cats finished eating their food, then put their heads down and fell to sleep.

🐚🐚🐚

I love this book already. Two chapters done in a day, too! I have a lot of free time since I have a two hour delay. There's not much ship in this chapter. Anyway, byeee!

~🍬Taffy🍬