Chapter Seven

"Hey Brett," Jenna said, sidling up to the boy the next morning. Brett gave Jenna a look of disgust.

"What do you want Jenna?" He said tiredly. Jenna narrowed her eyes at him.

"I fell asleep on the sofa last night and woke up in my bed with my shoes off." She said quickly. Brett looked at her in confusion.

"And?" He asked, his voiced laced with snark. Jenna raised her eyebrows at the boy. Brett soon realised what she was hinting at. "Oh - no! No no no! I did not put you in your bed last night." Jenna's face deadpanned.

"Then who did?" She asked, already bored of the conversation.

"Kyden did, he thought you'd prefer sleeping in your own bed." Brett said as monotonously. Jenna's eyes widened at Brett.

"He did?" She asked, slightly gobsmacked. Brett nodded, a small smirk appearing on his face. "You don't think he - he maybe -"

"There's only one way to find out," Brett said as his smirk grew wider and wider. As if on cue, Kyden walked down the stairs, yawning and rubbing his eyes. Brett have a low chuckle. "I'll leave you two lovebirds to talk."

"BRETT!" Jenna shouted as he walked into the living room cackling, closing the door behind him. Kyden looked at Jenna with an expression of worry mixed with confusion.

"Uh, Jenna?" Kyden asked, slightly scared.

"Listen," Jenna said matter-of-factly. "You put me in bed last night because you thought I'd prefer being in bed to on the sofa. So what I'm asking is-"

"Jenna, I'm asexual." Kyden interrupted, fighting back laughter.

"Wh-what?" Jenna stammered.

"I'm asexual!" Kyden said, now laughing. "Have been since I was born! I've never been attracted to anyone." A huge roar of laughter erupted from the living room. Jenna smiled at Kyden, apologised, and went straight for Brett.

"YOU LITTLE SHIT, YOU KNEW DIDN'T YOU?" She screamed in Brett's face, slapping him repeatedly on his chest. Brett had gone red in the face and was now gasping for air, but managed to squeeze out a small "yeah". Jenna made a noise of aggravation, and stormed off back upstairs. She collapsed onto her bed, still livid at Brett's actions. It wasn't until her stomach started rumbling she went downstairs.

"Oh hey, Jenna hurry and eat, I have an announcement to make!" Kathryn said as Jenna entered the kitchen. Jenna grabbed a cereal bar and followed Kathryn into the living room, where the rest of the household and Kyden were sitting.

"Ok everyone!" Kathryn said chirpily, clapping her hands together. "I hope you haven't got any plans, because - drum roll please - WE HAVE BEEN INVITED TO A BALL NEXT SATURDAY!" The other girls squealed at the news, and immediately started questioning Kathryn for more information.

"What's the dress code?"

"Are we allowed a plus one?"

"Who else is invited?"

"What food are they serving?"

"Where is it?"

"LADIES, please calm down!" Kathryn said loudly over the babble. Kyden and Brett chuckled at the excited group. "I have the invitation here, you can answer those questions yourself." She passed around a posh ivory letter, decorated with a red ribbon.

"Oh it's masquerade!" Emma grinned, passing the letter over to Kristee.

"And it's a plus one event," she said excitedly. "That means the boys and Mae can come too! That includes you, Kyden." Kyden chuckled as Esmèe grabbed the letter.