0 6 | f r i e n d s

Start from the beginning

Nodding her head, she grabbed a cinnamon bun from the raised platter beside them before placing it on a napkin in front of him.

"How much?"

"No need," she said shaking her head, "It's late and no one will know."'

Shrugging, he ate the sweet dish.

She worked on wiping the tables around them before walking into the employee's room and shutting off the electricity.

Only one light remained on and it was the one at the entrance of the diner.

Placing herself next to Maddox, she rested her head on her arms before looking at him.

"Why do you work so late?"

"Working at night is the only time my parents would approve of," she gently said.

He looked over at her with some faint surprise on his face.

"Why?" he pressed further.

"I'm not a face people want to see during the day," she mumbled softly.

"They really are embarrassed of you, aren't they?"

She shrugged. "My parents? Yeah. I'm not exactly the kind of daughter a family wants to keep around."

He leaned in, obviously curious. "And what kind of daughter are you?"

Her eyes flitted to the floor before steadily coming back to his face. "A useless one."

Silence followed her shameful statement.

"And how are you useless?"

"I'm a living, breathing reminder of a dark time in my parents relationship. I am their mistake. The people of this town aren't the most accepting of mistakes."

"Some are," he mused.

"No." Her tone was firm. "No one wants mistakes. No one appreciates mistakes," she choked out.

She shut her eyes tightly, letting the few stray tears fall. Sniffing, she wiped them as they came.

"Evelyn."

"Hmm?"

He analyzed her slouched form and red-rimmed eyes, noticing her quivering lip which suggested another round of tears.

Without a thought, he reached out to place a stray hair behind her ear. Then, he brought his hand to her chin before lifting it so their gazes met.

He searched her eyes. Most would think his actions were mindless, but they were far from it.

He noticed the fragility to her. How worn out she was. Emotionally. Mentally. But she had a strong front. She was a wave that came harsh, but fell softly. She was the breeze that blew leaves off trees, but not enough to be a hurricane.

No. Maddox was the hurricane. He was the breeze that blew everything and everyone away. Leaving only him. He was the trembles of the ground that rocked peoples lives.