0 6 | f r i e n d s

Start from the beginning

It was closing time soon and she was the only server left.

Walking up to them, she felt scared as her legs weakly moved.

"Hi. Welcome to Dolores' Diner, what can I get you?"

Without a glance in her direction, Brent Calibri listed off what they'd have.

"A toothpick and a flip flop. Bryce over here would like a big wa—watermelon. A whole watermelon. Oh a—an—-and how about a rub—b——-rubber band? Like a hair tie? He plans on exp—-pl—plaining how giving birth can hurt a woman's sacred hole," he said stumbling over his words.

Her face scrunched up as she took a big whiff of the pungent odor that followed them in.

They reeked of alcohol.

She took a step back, letting a disapproving sound leave her mouth without consent.

Upon this movement, Brent lifted his head as he noticed exactly who was serving them.

"Evelyn Moreau," he snarled.

Immediately the four guys seated with him looked up to take in her tiny form before smirks adorned their faces.

Being the one closest to her, Brent darted his hand out to grab her arm. She whimpered at the pain he was causing and was positive his tight grip would leave a bruise on his delicate skin.

"Please let go," she quietly pleaded with them praying they would get up and just leave.

"But we just got started?" Brett questioned feigning innocence.

She felt his stare weigh her down and her arm went limp instead of pulling away from him. She was exhausted.

Smiling at her lack of fight, Brett pulled her into his lap. She tensed at the feeling of him underneath her and wished that she was anywhere else. She tried to get the words out to beg him to leave her alone, but the only noise that left her throat was a scratchy whimper.

Luckily, she was immediately pushed off him as the sound of a bell interrupted their predicament.

Someone had entered.

Falling to the floor, she rushed to get up and smooth her outfit, trying to look presentable.

But how presentable could one get in the late hours of the night?

The guys shuffled out of the booth, getting ready to leave.

Brent stopped beside her before walking past. "It's always fun with you,"he whispered, his lips grazing her ear.

Evelyn let out a shaky breath as a shiver ran down her spine before turning to approach the person shuffling into a booth on the other side of the diner.

She paused in her step upon seeing Maddox's eyes on her already. His expression was one of annoyance and concern.

Concern?

She internally scoffed before walking over.

"Can I get you anything?"

Shaking his head and grumbling under his breath, he fumbled with his hands.

"Were they harassing you?" he questioned.

Ignoring his question, she pressed on. "Would you like coffee? Water? Tea? Lemonade? A cinnamon bun?"

"A cinnamon bun will do just fine," he huffed realizing she wouldn't be answering his question.