Chapter 14

“Lord knows the devil don't sleep

He never shuts his eyes

You never hear him creepin', yeah” His green eyes watched her fingers strum lightly on his old guitar. She hadn’t seen him come in to the studio. Normally he’d pick her up, but she insisted that she drove herself today. Her lyric book was placed in front of her her eyes focused intently. She was so lost in her writings, more than he had ever seen her. He raised an eyebrow at her choice of outfit of the the day. When it’s seventy degrees outside there was no need for jeans and a long sleeve flannel, and definitely no need for the scarf around her neck. He could see the dark rim of her sunglasses. Didn’t she know she was inside?  His heart ached. The phone call he received this morning was true, and she hadn’t told him. He had been so wrapped up in having her back and this new album...

“Hey brother how’s tour life goin?” He smiled into the phone. Justin laugh was heard from the other side. He downed the last bit of his coffee before placing his cup in the sink and turning to grab his keys from the counter. He was more than excited to head to the studio knowing his girl was waiting for him. He had some ideas for a few good songs he knew would get the crowd pumped. Writing seemed to be the only time he was able to see his Rosey Posey. Her dad had even dropped her to part time, mostly just calling her in when they were overcrowded or someone couldn’t figure out a problem.

“It’s pretty good man. Hows Sienna?”  Justin’s voice was hopeful, which admittedly sounded odd. Why would he call to ask how Sienna was doing? He had her number.

“As far as I know she’s good man, finally getting over being sick. I was about to sweep that girl away to the doctor. I’m about to meet her down at the studio.” His curiosity was racing through his head as he picked his cap off and scratched his head before replacing it.

“She didn’t tell you did she? I assumed she did when you posted the picture a couple days ago of you two.” Justin questioned. He knew the picture. Sienna was sticking her tounge out at the camera as they brainstormed over song ideas. Justin’s voice was full of concern this time. His heart raced a slight bit at the statement. What did he mean? Didn’t tell him what?

“What are you talkin about brother?” Brantley’s entire body began to shake. He hated not knowing what was going to be said next. He loved mystery don’t get him wrong but it could be anything from going on tour with Justin to havin illness that isn't curable. You just never knew what way anything could go.

“Man I was praying she told you...BG Derrick’s beatin Rosey. I walked in on her in the bathroom at the BBQ. Her side was all black and blue. Gave her two days to tell you, but some shit came up. I never got the chance to call you man. She begged me not to tell you. Hell she had to beg me not to beat his ass right then and there. Said she didn’t want you killin him. Guessin she didn’t want you in jail cause why else would she not want you to kill him. It’s bad man, real bad.” Justin’s voice was stiff, painful. HIs signature mumble was heard as he trailed off.

As soon as he hung up the phone he raced to her house, breathing out a sigh of relief when he noticed she was gone. Derrick was lucky he was gone too or he would have been on the business side of his brass knuckles. You don’t mess with his girl. He contemplated going after Derrick before heading to the studio but he knew his girl needed him. Derrick would get what’s coming to him, don’t you worry, but for now he kept his calm. He knew she hated when he was like this. That calm before the storm type of anger. It’s when he was at his worst. Taking off his hat he rubbed his face once again.

He had stayed in the truck for a few minutes before going into the studio. She was safe here. The signs were clear. How could they not be?! He kicked himself left and right. The flinch when Derrick came back. He thought it was because he caught them kissin. The constant ringing of her phone when she was with him. The amount of time she was sick. Off and on for three fuckin weeks. Her excuses, she was a klutz but even that was a lot. The bruise on her hip when he finally had her under his touch again. He was so happy to have her back he never once looked at the bigger picture. His heart sank when he realized the one thing he hadn’t thought about. He had left a hickey on her neck. He had added new bruises to her hips with the relentless pace she begged for. No wonder she kept begging for him to go harder. She always did when her mind was filled with hurt and anger. She craved his rough side when she was stressed, called him her own personal ecstasy. Derrick was sure to have seen the signs. He was sure to have lost his temper over knowing his girlfriend had been in the arms of another.  He was sure to have beat her again.