Chapter 16 - Pirates, and Crawfish, and Love... oh my!

Saturday was a gorgeous spring day in the Big Easy. After they ate a simple breakfast of bagels with cream cheese and honey, Elaina led Norman downstairs to what looked like a closet door. To his surprise, when she opened the door there was a Triumph Thruxton R in the center of a small room. On the wall were hanging several helmets and other gear.

"You ride?" As soon as the words left his mouth he understood what a dumb question that was. He hid his face behind his hand and they both laughed.

"It's really the only good way to get around the city, especially when it comes to parking." She handed him two Hedon Epicurist carbon fiber helmets and then wheeled the bike out the main doors to the street. "Is it going to bother you to ride bitch?"

"Nah... you know the area better than me." The ride took them down some incredibly scenic roads under full canopies of live oak and sycamore trees and Norman found himself thankful for the fully clear face shield. Elaina was a skilled rider who obviously knew this city like the back of her hand. She took them at a leisurely pace through the Garden District and past the Super Dome, up through St. Louis Cemetery, Treme and back down to the Marigny Bywater area. Along the way she would point out landmarks and favorite restaurants and bars. Finally, she pulled onto the sidewalk in front of the Port of Call restaurant on Esplanade.

"Let's get a big greasy burger," Elaina said with barely contained glee. "These are the best in the city."

"What... no creole food?"

"Oh, I'll make sure you have a feast before you leave, but it'll be in my kitchen." She said over her shoulder as they joined the line at the front door. As they stood there, Elaina noticed that Norman was fidgeting just a little and kept his head down.

"What's the matter with you, need to pee?"

"No, I just wish I had a hat or something. I'm a little worried about being spotted."

Elaina's face went blank and then it dawned on her. She had let herself forget about his celebrity status. "Oh, yikes," she muttered looking around. No one seemed to be paying them any attention so far. She took him by the hand and pulled him down Dauphine Street.

"I'm really good friends with the manager of Lafitte's Blacksmith Bar just a couple of blocks down. It's really dark in there and he'll make sure we get a corner table, plus he makes one of the best po-boy sandwiches you'll ever eat."

An hour later and they were both leaning back in their chairs trying to make room for their stuffed bellies. It was the height of crawfish season and the po-boys had been spectacular. Now they were sipping on drinks and relaxing in a dark corner by the huge fireplace that was the center of the ghostly legend of Lafitte's.

"I'm sorry I kept you from getting your greasy hamburger." Elaina studied Norman face as he spoke these words. There was a sadness around his eyes; it was an emotion that she had watched play itself out multiple times since she had first met him. The only time the man looked his age was during these moments. When they were laughing or debating or fornicating, he lost a good 10-15 years off his features. With a little start, she realized that she had a burning desire to never see him sad again.

"I'm not! Mitch's po-boys were on point today." She leaned forward and put her hand on top of his, running her fingers between his, feeling the thick calloused pads on his fingers... fingers that had brought her waves and waves of pleasure. As she remembered how she had writhed and thrashed, finally begging him to stop, she blushed deeply and felt goosebumps break out all over her body. To cover, she lifted her whiskey to her lips but he caught her eyes over the rim, and she knew he understood what brought on the reaction. And just like that, the sad look vanished.