Different Parents

Start from the beginning

He looked over at me, and it looked like he was going to say something but thought better of it, before he just sighed and nodded in agreement.

"Anyways, the reason I asked was cause Coach kinda gave me the keys to the arena so I could practice on my own if I wanted." I explained. "I usually go for a bit after work, if you wanted to come."

"Really?" He said, his face lighting up. "That'd be sick!"

"Yeah, we can head there after I'm done work if you want." I said as I rinsed out my mug and put it in the dishwasher.

"I'm there." He grinned as I left the kitchen.

I changed into my work clothes and grabbed some of my books so I could study if it got slow, figuring I could at least get some of my readings done, before I said goodbye to Harry and headed off to the diner. None of the other boys were up yet, which was absolutely no shock, but I did have the pleasure of escorting the girl who had snuck out of Shawn's room to the front door.

I said goodbye to her just as we exited the main doors to our dorm, and I dug around in my purse for my phone as it rang before I missed the call. I pulled it out and immediately sighed, knowing if I didn't answer it she'd just keep calling, so I took a deep breath and answered it as I walked to work.

"Hi, Mom." I answered, doing my best to sound cheery.

"Tara, where have you been!?" She snapped. "I've been trying to call you for three days, are you ignoring me again?"

"Sorry, I've just been really busy with school and practices. I picked up some extra shifts at work, I'm not ignoring you."

I was only half lying.

"Well maybe if you spent less time running around acting like one of the boys you'd have more time to answer your phone."

I just sighed and gritted my teeth, biting my tongue as usual.

"Well I'm here now, Mom. What's up?" I asked, doing my best to keep my annoyance out of my tone.

"I'm calling you remind you about the fundraiser next weekend, I expect you to be there." She said sternly.

In all honestly, I'd forgotten about her precious fundraiser until she reminded me, and I'd been to enough of them to know that it was my idea of hell on earth. An evening with my mother was bad enough, but an evening with her surrounded by a bunch of people she wanted to impress was nothing short of a nightmare.

My mother was incredibly active in the University's social programs, always organizing fundraisers and events that supported school programs, and it seemed like every time I turned around there was some new thing I'd been signed up for without my permission.

"I'll be there, Mom." I replied.

"Good, and make sure you wear one of those dresses I bought you." She instructed. "And for god sakes, take your hair out of that bloody braid for once."

I rolled my eyes at her, holding the phone away from my ear as she rambled on about leaving my converse sneakers at home and how it wouldn't kill me to wear heels once in a while, before I finally arrived at work and had an excuse to get off the phone.

"Okay, Mom. I just got to work so I have to go now, but I'll be there." I promised her.

"Alright, and you could call your father once in a while too, you know. He said he hasn't talked to you in weeks."

"Okay, Mom." I sighed, just wanting to end the conversation.

I had in fact called my father recently, but he was away on one of his business trips and didn't answer. He also didn't return my call, so he obviously wasn't too bothered by our lack of communication. With that said, I much preferred my conversations with him over the ones I had with my mom.

Breaking The IceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara