Chapter Eighteen: Past Mistakes

Start from the beginning

"Tom, get changed and meet us at the docks." I turn my away from Tom to the two other men before me. "Let's go get organized." 

The battle was about to begin.

Tom's POV:

"It might even save your life one day." Tord gives me an odd look, following it up with his famously large grin on his. I get flashes of the time the rebel, who I think Tord called Edd, broke into the base, and I attacked him to save Matt. I don't remember it all too well with the circumstances, nor did I know what happened at the time with me exactly, but now I know I used my transformation to save Matt.  The rest was a blur. 

Ah yes. The first time you caused me to emerge after waking up in this place. Good times~ You were filled with so much emotion. I really had no say in the transformation, but then again, I wouldn't have argued to finally be able to come out again. Tomster giggles in my head. 

I begin to feel other visions to emerge, but now isn't the time to zone out. I look through the contents of the box that was placed in my hands to busy myself and cling to reality. The suit seems to very closely resemble my first one, except the texture is a bit different. Nothing about it seems too noticeably different, though. 

"Tom, get changed and meet us at the docks." Tord commands, turning to his two other companions standing before him. "Let's go get organized."  The four of us step into the almost silent hallway, leaving behind the trays stacked with dirty dishes in his office. Much of the chaos and excitement had already passed and made its way out of the base to prepare for battle. Tord led his henchman down the hall as I stepped into my room just a few doors down. I enter the familiar room, going straight to the connected bathroom to change.

I slowly peel off the sweat covered clothing, kicking it to the side. Between the training and intensity of what happened in Tord's office, I am a mess. I really need a shower, but I know I don't have the time. I breathe through my mouth after a realization of how much I smell. Just great. Not having time for much, I try my best to clean myself up and put on the new clothes. They reacted very similarly to the first prototype suit, automatically adjusting to my body type. However, they were a bit on the looser side for easier movement. I nod in satisfaction and head out before grabbing a few things. 

I jog down the halls, trying my best to remember  how to get to the boarding docks. A few soldiers from the sectors not heading to battle mill about, giving me odd looks as I pass. They better get used to it. It seems like I'll be doing a lot of running around for Tord from here out.  I finally reach the set of guarded double doors. Both guards standing on either side of the doors look me up and down before silently nodding to each other and pressing the buttons simultaneously that open the doors. 

The sun floods into the open doorway and blinds me momentarily until my visor adjusts to the lighting.  

"There you are!" I hear a thick accented voice exclaim. I stumble forward a bit, still adjusting to the brightness of the natural light. I feel my hand being grabbed and am suddenly pulled forward. It takes everything I have to not fall over, but I comply and finally am able to see Tord practically dragging me to the jeeps. 

Besides about 8 jeeps that are completely loaded with soldiers, the boarding zone is quite empty. We finally stop at the very last jeep that seems to be the only empty one.  Tord opens the door to the back of the exposed vehicle and steps inside, leaving the door open so I can enter. I mimic his actions and sit on the opposite side of the compartment facing him.  The driver looks back through the small window as  confirmation to go. Not surprisingly, the driver was Patryk with Paul riding shotgun.  Tord nods to them, and almost immediately, the car lurches forward. I search for a seat belt to help steady myself.