Chapter 12: Claimed (Jax)

Start from the beginning

"Come here." He lifted my chin with a finger. "I'll show you a proper kiss."

His lips touched mine, and I thought it would end there. My eyes shot open when his tongue slipped into my mouth. I jerked back.

Max gave me a grin. "So?"

I touched my lips. "Why'd you put your tongue in my mouth? That's kind of gross."

Rolling onto his back, Max laughed and rubbed his face. "If a french kiss makes you squeamish, we're in trouble."

Sucking in my cheek, I faced forward. "Why's it called a french kiss?"

He turned onto his side and shrugged. "Ask the French."

"You're so annoying."

Max leaned forward and kissed my neck. "My mom says it's the red in my fur. She was relieved I wasn't born completely red."

"Doesn't she have red markings?"

He continued to laugh. "She tends to forget that little detail when it's convenient." Max nuzzled the side of my head and leaned closer. "You have a nice smell."

I tensed up at the comment. "Like what?"

"Fresh, with a warmth about it." He put his arm over me and touched my shirt.

My breath caught. "I'm guessing you're in the mood now."

"Can I take off your clothes?" he whispered in my ear.

"Oh god," I breathed. "Now I'm the one feeling self-conscious."

He lifted my shirt and ran his hand along my side.

Closing my eyes, I let out a shaky breath. I could do this. It was just sex, which was a slightly terrifying idea, but it wasn't like it was going to kill me. At least, I hoped not.

"Jax?"

I opened my eyes and peered up at the man hovering over me. "Yeah, I'm ready."

He gave me a simple kiss followed by a smile. "I'm going to be careful. If it becomes too much let me know, and I'll slow down."

I nodded, swallowing hard. He pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it on the floor. Max grabbed the top of my pants. I gripped the sheets beneath me. He watched my face as he slowly removed them along with my underwear. They fell onto the floor in a pile. I couldn't look at him. This broken body was even more inferior to the werewolf who was straddling my hips than anyone back home.

Max slowly turned my face back to him and kissed me. "There's nothing wrong with you."

"Yeah, right," I muttered. "Nothing at all."

"We're both not comfortable with the situation. Remember that."

***

My eyes slowly opened and I looked around. The sun was shining through the window, but the lights were still off. Fur brushed against my back. I glanced over my shoulder to see Max back in his usual form fast asleep. His arm was draped over my waist.

I wiggled my toes and started to twist my feet. That was more movement that I usually had. It was kind of exciting. Carefully, I pulled away from Max. He immediately reacted and sucked me back to him. He tucked my head under his chin and was out again. I sighed. I guess I'd have to see what my legs could do after he woke up. It was probably for the best just in case I fell. I rubbed the little pink marks on my shoulder. It was weird to think I pretty much had gotten married last night. Max was my mate.

The door flung open startling me. Max's eyes opened, and he snarled as he turned over to see who had entered.

Andreas stood there with a smile on his face. "So?"

"Get out," growled Max.

"I came to meet the new member of the pack." He eyed his nephew. "At least I hope." He walked around the bed and the smile returned to his face when he saw my shoulder.

"Why are you here?" muttered Max.

"To make sure you got the job done," stated the alpha. "Your mother called me early this morning to see if it had happened, so I'm returning the favor. Today's my day off as well." Andreas raised an eyebrow. "You better not have done it that form. The poor boy will never have sex with you again."

Max snatched a pillow and threw it at him. "Get out."

Andreas laughed as his phone started to ring. He took it out of his pocket and answered. "Hi, Alice."

"Did it happen?" she asked.

"I'm with them right now, and we have a new member of the family."

"Oh my god, Max finally has a mate! I'm coming over."

Max groaned.

"Sounds good. Breakfast should be ready in ten minutes or so. Alright, bye." The alpha put his phone away. "Your mother's on her way."

"I know," snapped Max, rubbed his forehead. "I heard."

"Well, don't keep her waiting." Andreas wandered back into the hall and closed the door.

I turned onto my back and peered up at Max.

His eyes scanned my face. "Does anywhere hurt?"

I shook my head.

"You sure." He leaned down and licked my scar.

Twisting away from him, I covered my mating bite. A weird tingling sensation had filled my chest and was traveling lower.

I made eye contact with him. "Is it normal for it to feel weird, the mark?"

Max nodded. "It's responding to me. The mark is where my enzyme is most concentrated." He leaned down next to my ear. "The first mating is never the greatest, but after that," he brushed his finger near the scar, "it's pretty intense."

"Don't." I knocked his hand away. "Stop touch me there."

Laughing to himself, he climbed out of bed.

"So will it always be that intense?" I sucked in my cheek and gaze across the room.

"Mind-blowing organsm," said Max with a smirk. "Every time I mark you, it'll have the same effect."

I shook my head. This was unbelievable. "It's just the sub, I'm guessing."

Max nodded and sat down by my head. He leaned over me and put his weight on his arm. "Yep, but I've never heard of anyone complaining about it. I'm curious about how intense it actually is to be marked."

"I could show you in a few weeks."

"Smartass." He kissed my forehead. "Just see it as a perk of being on the receiving end." He stood and headed for the bathroom. "Give me a minute, and I'll come back to help you."

"Okay."

The bathroom door shut, and I covered my face. I was not prepared for all these new sensations. I muscled myself into the seated position. It wasn't as hard as usual. My heart started to beat faster. Had it worked? I looked over my arms. They seemed a little different. I struggled to get the heavy blanket off my legs but managed to do it.

My legs looked the same. I shouldn't expect a miracle when it had only been a couple hours to undo years of being bedridden. But as I wiggled and moved my feet, I was hopeful that sooner or later, I might be able to walk again.