Chapter 3.

My mom looked at me, horrified and started crying more than ever. She hobbled towards me and pulled me into a tight hug. I was too shock to do anything. All of this... It was so sudden. My dad, he left us all and will never return. I realised I was crying and with that I also felt frustrated. But I let myself cry before filling in mom with questions.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I finally asked as she broke apart. Mom looked at me. Her eyes were red and swollen with big eye bags suggesting she didn't sleep for days.

"I just wanted you safe" she whispered as she turned around and sat down. "I don't understand," I said, hurt "safe from what?"

"There is a war," mom informed "your dad- he died there. They sent back his bloody uniform and hat. And you-" she said turning to me "are my youngest daughter. If you knew what happened you would be here in no time and so you are. We want you safe. Go away!"

"Mom!" I screamed "what do you mean by go away? Lettie is here! Isn't she your daughter?"

"Listen" Lettie chipped in as my mom started weeping again "you won't understand things now. There is going to be a wave of aerial bombing. It is a matter of time-"

"And I don't want you to die" mom said again "you are so young. Just go away and live your life. You might not be able to see me but whatever you do- survive."

As I opened my mouth to answer there was a loud noise of sirens. They were so loud that I was deafened by them. Suddenly there was a lot of clamour amongst the people. They were all running away chanting "run away! Hide! There is going to be an airstrike any minute now!"

Those were the last words I heard. Then everything went black.

When I regained my conscious, I was being pulled by some one. I felt weak and I could not walk. There was fire surrounding me. My head hurt and so did my arms. They were all bleeding. The person pulling was himself weak and walking slowly. I looked up ahead of me and saw Lew pulling me away from my house. The house where I had lived all my life was now burning down into ashes.

I knew that the only survivors of this house were me and Lew. I wanted to stop and look for my mother and Lettie but I couldn't.

My limbs ached and I had a pain like hot knives on my either side. There was a lot of smoke coming from the house that I could barely breathe. I kept my eyes shut and allowed myself being dragged away.

I threw myself on the ground as soon as we escaped the house. I panted hard for air and coughed a lot.

"Get up!" I heard Lew's stern yet weak voice "there is gonna be another wave."

I looked at Lew and gasped. He was hurt badly and was covered in blood. His pinky finger on his left hand was missing and I had nauseous after seeing him.

I looked around my home town and saw everything burning down into ashes. Some men were throwing water on the nearby burning houses. Then I thought about my mother and sister and stood up to run inside. But Lew was too quick for me. He caught me with his one hand and said "no way are you going in there!"

I struggled to escape his grip. "Get off you jerk!" I screamed trying to shake him off as he made a grab for my both shoulders "I want to save mom!"

He forced me right I front of him and stared at me. "You know you can't (Y/N)!" he said shaking me "you need to get out of this town."

Before I could do anything, he held my hand tightly and pulled me away from this town. He kept on walking for a long time, his hand in mine, as I cried beside him.

After some time he spoke "I promised your mom to always protect you" he said "you must do as I say."

He started walking at a faster pace and after sometime, we started climbing a steep hill. There, the air was fresh and I took a deep breathe and kept on walking. When I looked back, I realised we were leaving the city behind. Finally Lew came to an abrupt stop.

"You are on your own from here" he told me releasing my hand. I looked at him, my eyes widened.

"Are you mad?" I managed to whisper "you are telling me to go to the Waste?"

"Not really the Waste" he said rubbing his cheek "now listen, the Waste is the safest place. You need to go out there and somehow- survive."

"What about you?" I demanded "I am not leaving you behind. And you need to get those wounds treated."

Lew shook his head and when he did, I started crying out loud.

"No way!" I cried "I am not leaving you in this hell." "

I won't be able to survive any longer," he said tears forming in his eyes "and before I die, I want to see my family."

"But Lew-" I said but he raised his hands to stop me from speaking. "Don't argue, (Y/N)" he whispered in my ear "it would be of no use. Just survive and live happily. I am sorry I won't be there for you now..." I cried even harder upon hearing his kind words.

He held my face in his hands and wiped off the tears.

"The hardest thing is to say goodbye to a friend you knew as a child" he said.

I closed my eyes and cried more. Then I heard him say "I have always liked you, (Y/N). I won't like it if you die. Neither would your mom, dad or even Lettie. Good bye!"

Before I knew it, there was a soft kiss on my forehead. I opened my eyes only to find myself standing alone in the Waste.
**

"They wanted me to survive" I said as I walked on the steep Waste "but looks like I am gonna die of walking here."

It had been two hours of continuous walking. Lew had just left me and I wished he'd be okay. I was now alone walking on a forbidden Waste. I felt very tired and weak. I continued walking until I saw something standing in a distance. As I reached closer, it was a strange scarecrow dressed in fine clothes. It
had a pipe in his mouth and was grinning meekly.

"Humph" I said to it "you are weird, turnip head. That's what I call you. You head is like a turnip. Anyway" I told it as I walked away "you better find a safe place for yourself. There is a war going on."

I left the scarecrow standing there and continued walking. As I accelerated on the hills, the wind grew colder. My wounds had stopped bleeding but they still hurt. I hugged myself as strong gust of wind attacked me. I shivered realising I'd die soon. Then suddenly I heard soft noises behind me. I turned around and to my greatest surprise the scarecrow I had just met was jumping towards me. I was not scared to see it.

Considering I was in the Waste, I expected worser. And my expectation just got true. As Turnip Head marched more closer, the ground beneath me shook. The next moment my mouth hung open.

Right behind Turnip Head came staggering, a large ball shaped thing standing on two weak legs and made up of junk. I had seen it before but still felt scared.

Finally I shouted at Turnip Head "I told you to find a safe hiding place for yourself, not me, you senseless creature! What have you done?" I called as he and the castle came closer "that is Howl's Castle, you stupid!"

Votes? Comments?