Chapter 35

Happy day of birth to me.

- Sian

Kaiden stared into a shop window, looking at phones he could potentially steal. Milokan's face was close enough to the glass that his nose squished against it.

"What are these?" he asked with such excitement, passersby stared at him with odd expressions.

Kaiden glanced around with a scowl and whispered, "Go down there, I'll meet you in a minute." He pointed to a little side-street. It was half-past nine in the morning, so the streets were empty and quiet. Milokan nodded and stayed calm. He walked down the pavement, cautiously stepping over all the cracks because he has already tripped twice this morning.

Kaiden entered the shop and put on his best intimidating glare before walking through the isles. The woman behind the counter looked incredibly bored as she stared emptily into her phone.

"Excuse me?" Kaiden asked, not even attempting to sound any less rude. The woman looked up and suddenly changed her expression to the most curious stare she could manage. "I would like to buy... uh, the latest iPhone." He saw it in the shop window, and it was the easiest name to remember.

"Okay," she beamed and scanned him with her pretty eyes, "take a seat, I won't be a moment."

Kaiden turned and sat on a plastic orange chair. It groaned under his weight. The woman furiously typed on her computer before walking over to sit opposite him at the table.

"What colours do you have? Can you show me?"

"Oh, I can have a look for you." The woman hurried towards a storeroom and Kaiden wondered why he didn't just teleport in there to steal one.

After a few minutes, he cracked his knuckles, hoping Milokan hadn't seen a dog and wandered off. When the bell at the top of the door rang, his mood started to fall. The last thing he wanted was to be surrounded by humans.

"I thought you were stealing a phone. Why are you just sitting there?"

Kaiden grabbed Milokan's arm and pulled him onto the seat next to him.

"Shut up," he hissed. "Why are you not waiting outside?"

"You were longer than a minute, and I feel too curious."

Kaiden ran a hand over his face and remained calm.

"Just don't say anything, even if she talks to you."

Milokan frowned and crossed his arms. Kaiden knew by his expression that he wasn't going to cooperate.

When the woman, who looked to be in her early twenties, arrived back at the front of the shop, she slowed down when she spotted Milokan.

"So um, we have three colours." She placed the phones out on the table and Kaiden had to think of an excuse to make her leave again. What else did he know about phones? "Do you have any cases for this phone?"

"Yes, I'll get some selections for you." When she turned and walked away, Kaiden was about to reach for one of the phones, but she stopped.

"I'm just going to ask something crazy," she chuckled nervously and kept her eyes firmly on the demon. "I finish at one today, are you free to get coffee or something?"

Kaiden very nearly slipped out a humourless laugh, knowing exactly why she was asking. He has been asked out enough by humans to understand.

"What? He doesn't take your fancy?" he questioned and nudged Milokan, who was about to ask what coffee was but thought against it.