Chapter 9

I'm really sorry about the slow updates! I have had a very busy week at university. I'm going home for a long five days tomorrow so I'm sure I can update a lot more frequently next week. I hope you all have a good day!

- Sian

Lucifer was pacing the hall. His feet sounded heavy on the charcoal floorboards. The demon's watched from the corner of their eyes, not wanting to look at him directly. He was in such an ugly mood that he would kill them on the spot if they drew negative attention to themselves.

"Where is he?" He snarled. Meloras, Kaiden's mother, watched with worry. Her son should have been back by now. Usually, he managed to complete his missions with ease. "If he tells me he failed, I will cut off a limb." Turning to his assistant, a glimpse of satisfaction could be detected in the devil's smile. "Is he left handed or right handed?"

"Lucifer, just give him a few more hours!" She pleaded. The thought of her son being tortured was trembling her hands. She hoped with all her heart that he was okay. "You know yourself that humans have been capturing our kind more than ever before."

"A few more hours? He has not failed me yet, but do not defend your son when he comes back without a soul for me. If this is due to humans, I will hurt him. He should be able to defend himself from those pathetic creations." Lucifer continued to pace and continued to drill the heavy echo of his lack of patience through the mansion. He was angry with Kaiden but did not want to lose his best soul-catcher.

There is only so much emotion the devil shows, his concern is not one of them.

* * * * *

The rain had stopped hammering down, yet the sky remained heavy and dull, threatening to pour again. Kaiden's miserable face stared at a collection of mushrooms, perched next to the angels head. He was sleeping but uncomfortable, judging by the little frown on his forehead. Although, he was getting the rest he needed.

After the angel vanished from the concrete corridor, he had left a rift in the air, it was small but a foolish mistake for those to make who are inexperienced flyers on earth. Kaiden had selflessly followed, leading him straight to Milokan who lay soggy and beaten. It was a moment of madness and one that Kaiden knew would be the first of many. If he could chase an angel because he allowed himself to feel confused, the outcome of what he really wanted was now unclear.

His frustrated eyes looked around and saw nothing but trees, swaying in the gentle breeze. It was still dark but the sun was threatening to rise as it sat just below the horizon. He wished Milokan would wake up so he could leave. He managed to take him to a part of the country where the rain had stopped, but would he really be able to go after all of this chaos?

Not long after the sky turned a warm orange, the angel stirred. Kaiden backed away, thinking he might freak out. The last time the angel was with him he punched him in the face. So of course, the demon was not a sight for sore eyes, unless the angel was judging him on his good looks and not his disgusting personality, which was highly doubtful.

Milokan pressed a cold palm against his temple. His poor neck and back felt stiff from laying on the hard woodland floor for so long. The disappearing stars shined sweetly against his exposed arms before he struggled to sit up, needing to stretch his back. A musty smell was all that invaded his nostrils while a moment of confusion clouded his mind until his beautiful emerald eyes fell upon Kaiden, crouching by a tree only a few metres away.

"You followed me?" He questioned more to himself, not quite remembering.

"Yes."

"Why?"