Chapter 2

Elory's POV

I stared at the boy completely thrown off by the friendly tone and gesture, although I suppose I'd be overly friendly too if someone was aiming an arrow at me. I continued to study the group of 3 as Caleb continued to talk, "This is my brother Eric and his girlfriend Charlie," he said gesturing to the younger boy and girl.  I stood for awhile, saying nothing, my expression unchanging as both sides of my brain debated on whether or not these three were a threat.

After a couple seconds of silence, he spoke again, "If you could kindly put down the pointy things that could impale us, I can explain why we're here." he smiled as if he'd been in this exact situation so many times he knew exactly how to talk his way out of it.

"Last time I checked, these 'pointy things' were called arrows." I deadpanned.

I watched Caleb's smile widen and slowly morph into a half smile-half smirk as he responded to my comment with, "So you do talk, wonderful. Well then may I know your name? And uh, can you put your pointy things down?" he said, a full smirk present on his face. 

"Why are you here." I cut straight to the point, my bow still aimed at the group. "No one lives here anymore, not in this building, and not in this part of the city." Caleb took half a step forwards, and all in one movement I let my arrow fly and restrung another as a warning, with the arrow narrowly missing his head. He stepped back into his place and put his hands up in a surrender, a slight undertone of fear in his features. His mouth wavered slightly as he choked out, "Look I'm sorry, please don't sh-"

"I don't trust you, plain and simple. I'm sorry." I cut him off, and readied my stance to shoot. As I let my arrow go, a young girl ran in front of the group clutching a teddy bear. Without thinking, I hastily strung, aimed, and shot another arrow at the butt of my previous. I watched the two fly into the wall just above the young boy Eric's head, the first landing in the already paint chipped wall, and the next cutting straight through the first and into the wall yet again. 

I looked back at the little girl and my eyes landed on a shockingly amused face. Her bright blue eyes were wide, and an open-mouthed smile made laugh lines in her dainty features. "That was AWESOME!" she yelped. "Do it again Alesta!" she cried with enthusiasm. I felt a small smile dance its way onto my features as I open the apartment door and said "I'm Elory."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I close the mahogany dresser drawer containing my bow and quiver of arrows, and turn around to see Eric looking out the fogged and cracked apartment windows, Caleb was talking to the little girl, and Charlie was inspecting where the window should meet the floor. I drifted over to where Charlie was standing and explained, "Most of the building was destroyed in a raid 2 months ago, most of the windows have shattered gaps and the hallways have holes in the floor." Charlie redirected her gaze from the floor to me, "How did you survive?" she questioned.

"My dad found this place after it was destroyed, he found a open room with almost no damage and taught me how to hunt and make my own arrows. He also installed a lock for the inside." 

"Where is your dad?" Charlie asked carefully. I felt my face falter slightly, then recover as I responded "He died a month and a half ago... he was sick and we couldn't get treatment."

Caleb broke up our conversation by clearing his throat at the two of us and jerked his head towards the little girl. "Elory, do you have a spare sleeping bag?" Caleb asked once again gesturing in the direction of the little girl,  I nodded and grabbed my rolled up sleeping bag. I laid the bag down on the floor and waved the little girl over, as Caleb trailed behind the skipping little girl. Caleb leaned down to tuck her in,

"Noooooo! I want her to tuck me in." the little girl said in a giggly tone. 

I smiled slightly and tucked her in, "Goodnight sweet pea" I said smiling. "Goodnight Alesta!" she beamed, then rolled over with her teddy bear and tucked her knees to her chest, and her thumb in her mouth. 

We stood slowly and walked toward the tattered sofa facing the window, and sat. "Alesta?" I said quizzically to Caleb. He waved Eric and Charlie over, and they stood next to each other behind the sofa, we all turned to face each other. 

"Alesta is a feminine Greek name for defender," Caleb started. "..Okay? What does that have to do with me?" I question still equally if not more puzzled. Caleb's mouth bobs open and closed for a couple of seconds before finding the words, "Well...you see..-" 

"-We've been looking for you." Charlie interjects. 

I can feel the shock plastered on my face, "For me? Why? How do you know who I am?" I say standing up quickly and facing my mahogany dresser eyeing my weapon drawer.

"Please don't try to shoot us again! We don't want to hurt you we just need your help!" Eric cuts in, slightly terrified. I sit back down slowly "Need my help with what?" I ask just as slowly as I sat. "We are from a resistance group located under the city," Caleb starts."We were told that whoever Molly-" he turns to look at the little girl curled up on the floor "calls Alesta, is the one destined to defeat Arnold and save us all. There's only one Alesta, and only she knows how to kill him." he finishes. 

I take a minute to process this information and find that I'm only left with more questions. "How would Molly be able to tell who this 'Alesta' person is?" 

"She is a clairvoyant, she has minimal visions but they are always the same, the same person -Alesta- and the same victory." Caleb clarifies. 

I nod with a mixture of disbelief and denial coating my face, paired with wide eyes and a nervous smile. 

"We understand its a lot to take in, but we-" Charlie starts

"-We really need you to come back to the Rebels Haven with us." Eric finishes. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Okay yes I've been absent, IM SOOOOOORRRRYYY and yes this chapter is shorter, once again, IM SOOOOOOORRRRYYY. I'm trying to get into daily uploads since I know how I want this stor to lay out now. Anyways,

Addio! (Italian)

Word count: 1126