Chapter 1

Cotton candy and orange sherbet colors paint the sky as if an adroit artist used his seasoned skill to blend the unlikely mixture into a magnum opus. With the softest brushes, steadiest hand, and most beautiful colors a mess can become a masterpiece.

But that is not the case, Elory thought as she turned away from what was left of the large clouded front window, shattered and cracked in some places from all the obliteration. She stood slowly, and daintily crossed the room to the dusty and splintered mahogany wardrobe. She traced the delicate flower and vine details peppered into the old yet still beautiful wood and thought her father, she then soon felt the dull pain of her heart aching to see him again. She hadn't seen him in so long, and now never will she see him, speak to him, or be able to say "Just one more hug daddy!" ever again.

Elory opened the wardrobe and pulled out 4 things. Her plain black leather jacket, a crossbow, a quiver of handmade arrows, and a backpack lined with plastic and containing a large canteen for water and an apple.

Elory threw on her jacket, quiver, and backpack, and proceeded to sling her bow over one shoulder. She then quietly opened the door and slowly peeked her head out, her hand on her bow. Once she was satisfied that the area was clear, she walked through the doorway and quietly closed and locked the door.

Elory headed towards the stairwell and made her way down from the 31st floor to what used to be the main lobby. Once again she careful poked her head out the doorway surveying the outside of the building and, when satisfied, walked out of the apartment building and down the road.

Her combat boot clad feet touched the soft earth of the meadow's light green grass and as she looked up, she tried to remember what it looked like before the leaden haze had blanketed itself over her world.

Elory crossed the dying meadow to the forest, and pulled off the bow slung across her shoulder, she then nocked an arrow and silently inspected the vegetation around her. There was nothing at first, and then, a small flash of movement she barely saw with the corner of her eye.

She whipped her head in the movement's direction, her bow at the ready. Once again there was a movement, and she saw a raccoon. She aimed and let her arrow loose, she opened her eyes to find that the arrow had found it's precise target, and had landed right in the raccoon's heart.

She walked over and picked up the animal, silently whispering "I'm sorry, may you rest in peace" to the innocent animal, just as her father had taught her. She placed the raccoon in the plastic lined pack and continued on her way.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As Elory walked into the apartment on the 31st floor, she closed and locked her door, then placed her pack on the table in the middle of the room. She drifted to the dirty bathroom in the apartment on the 31st floor, and took a small, tattered cloth to wet down and wash her face and hands with.

After washing and drying her face, Elory looked up into the cracked mirror and was surprised by what she saw. Her appearance had changed substantially from the way it was just a few weeks ago. Her deep auburn hair was now dirty and snarled in places, there were large, dark bags under her emerald green eyes, and her freckles now blended passably with her usually pale skin, which was now darker from lots work and no way to properly clean herself.

She sighed softly at what everything had become and exited the bathroom walking into the kitchen and picking up her pack on the way. Today was a fairly good day for hunting, she had managed to see and shoot a raccoon, two average squirrels, and even gathered some wild raspberries. It was a feast indeed!